Euphonic Audio NL210 Looking for a good match to extend the bottom end

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Tommy L, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Tommy L

Tommy L

I'm looking for a good match to this cabinet the EA NL210.
    I've seen the NL410 (57lbs) 1000 watts for sale,
    but no reviews anywhere :(

I've read that some like the CXL 112.

I've thought of building a couple of fEARful 12/6/1's:

But the 1200 + price tag doesn't include the build or finish or the grill.
    It's the 12/6/1 full flat pack with the Alpha mids and a tweet and me building the xovers.
    So once you add in a grill and hardware + a finish of somekind (I'd do a stain, then tung oil and final finish with a couple buff coats of wax)
    I'm thinking that the total will be over 1400 (not including my passionate work, lol) and I already have the EA NL210.

The EA NL410 goes for 1300 to 1400 new (or is it new old stock) Comes finished would be a good match for the NL210?
    and weighs in at only 57lbs.

Please kick in some thoughts....
    I greatly appreciate it!

Tommy L sends....

2. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

I can't help much, but...

I have a CXL 210 (I've heard that it is similar in sound to the NL210) - it's a quick, tight sounding cab (not quite as open as I'd like)... I also have a CXL112 & will be pairing them together shortly (waiting for some cables)... The 112 does sound a bit deeper & I'm hoping the combo is nice (they stack perfectly)...

What amp are you using? I've found that the EA cabs pair well with EA heads (I'm much happier with the cabs & my iamp 350 vs a TC electronics head I had been using & also better than my much loved Markbass LMII). The iamp also has the "deep" switch to help fill out the sound.

Sorry I can't help with the 410... or the fEARful

3. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    No way it should cost that much to build a fEARful.

4. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

The OP was considering "a couple of fEARful 12/6/1's" & he's also in Canada - it's an expensive country...

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Maybe for two 12/6/1's.

That said one 12/6/1 is going to replace a 210 easily and have low end to spare. Two? thats a BIG jump in performance from a 210.

7. Tommy L

Tommy L

Hi Pazzo!
    How far to the great white north are you?
    I live in Ottawa but I've been to the North Pole a few times! lol Beat that! ha!

I hear that the EA stuff matches pretty well.

I'm using the Carvin DCM2000L. I also have 4 Carvin DCM2000 and 1 Carvin DCM2500.
    I'm thinking of getting a Carvin DCM3800L with the XDrive.
    Check out these specs on the XDrive portion of the amp.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/products/DCM3800LX

DIGITAL SIGNAL PROCESSING:
    Multi DSP 48kHz/24 bit
    30-band Graphic EQ (each input): 20Hz to 20kHz, +/-12dB in 0.5dB steps
    Gain: +12dB to -68dB in 0.5dB steps
    Source Routing with Amp Bridging
    Phase: 0 or -180 degrees (in or out)

High pass and Low pass (Crossover) Filters:
    - Butterworth: 6, 12, 18, 24, 48 dB/oct.
    - Bessel: 12, 24 dB/oct.
    - Linkwitz-Riley: 12, 24, 48 dB/oct.
    Limiter: 0dB to -30dB threshold, hard limiting in 1dB steps
    Delay: 0-120mS in 21uS steps (0-120ft in 0.28in steps, or 0-40 meters in 7mm steps)
    4-band Parametric EQ’s (per output): +/- 12dB in 0.5dB steps, 0.16 to 2.0 octaves(Q)

Right now I'm using 2 Carvin 742 Monitors that I've put in 600 Watt Drivers. 15's with Horns (motorola horn no xover)
    and they seem to fill out the bottom nicely.

Gecko 5 EMG DC40/CS40 with EMG BQC ====> ART Pro Channel II =====> Carvin DCM2000L ====> EA NL210 and 2 Carvin 742's.

The 742's are on channel 1 and the NL210 is on Channel 2.
    This way I can mix out a cool volume/tone.

Tommy L sends.....

8. Tommy L

Tommy L

fEARful 12/6/1 Flat Pack Deluxe Kit USD $509.95 USD $1,019.90
    Delete
    fEARful 12 Style: - Standard 12/6 - -
    fEARful 12 Mid: - Alpha 6a - -
    fEARful P/B Xover Options: - W PC Boards and mount hdwe USD $10.88 USD $21.76
    fEARful HF 12 Selection: - ASD1001 H70e Horn w parts/pcboards USD $65.04 USD $130.08
    fEARful/Omni Jack Plate Choice: - 2 - NL4 D023 Large dish USD $10.40 USD $20.80
    fEARful Handle Options: - 2 Penn Elcom Folding Handle w screws USD $16.98 USD $33.96
    Sub Total: USD $1,226.50

Free

Zip:
    Grand Total: USD $1,226.50

There's the quote for yes.... two 12/6/1 shipped to Up State NY. I'm 20 min from the Border and Leland is offering free shipping right now.

The 1,226.50 does not include grills nor finish.
    So I'm thinking of the NL410 since I already have the NL210:

EA NL 410 New 2011 Model
    4-10" Wizzy Kevlar Neodymium Woofers
    1" Titanium Compression Driver
    1000 Watts
    8 Ohm
    24.5H x 22W x 15D
    57 Pounds
    $1295.00

If just placing one 12" sub or 15" sub under my NL210, then yes, I don't have to spend 1200 plus dollars.

And the way I approach sound, I'm sure that I can match a
    fEARful 12/6/1 or 15/6/1 to my NL210 using the Carvin with the built in XDrive. Total control ;)

But I'd still have to build one and the 12/6/1 will still cost
    over $600.00 to build and finish with a grill/stain.

Just looking at options since I purchased this EA NL210 before I found the fEARfuls :(

Tommy L sends.... \m/ . . \m/

9. PazzoBasso

PazzoBasso

Like I said... "I can't help much" :)

I guess I'm from the Southern North... between Toronto & Hamilton... Farthest up country I've been is Quebec City...

I can't comment on other heads from experience, but I do know that my EA cabs sound best with my EA amp... My iamp also sounds good (maybe even better) with my Bergantino AE410 (but the Bergie makes almost any head sound good)...

10. Tommy L

Tommy L

I saw this one on the net for around $1100.00
    Bergantino.... I've read here that people like it too.

HD 410 4 ohm
    4-10" Cast frame woofers, 56 oz magnet
    High Intelligibility Tweeter
    Custom Phase-coherent crossover with tweeter control
    800 Watts
    Frequency response: 44hz-15khz
    Sensitivity: 104db @ 2.83v/1meter
    88 pounds
    26" H x 22 3/4" W x 15 1/2" D
    Removable casters

I've just never had to do a Bass Show with out me running it.
    I use InEars monitors and put myself thru my FOH system.
    JBL's SR Concert series 4732A tops and 4715a subs.
    But now I'm going to be supporting a drummer buds of mine 8 hrs away in Maryland. Long drive but the shows are once a month or every second month. There is no FOH support so, I'm just trying to figure out the stand alone bass rig thing! lol :)

Tommy L sends....

11. chadds

chadds

Tommy do the Berg.

12. jmjam

jmjam

Mixing the 410 with the 210 - beware of the cab ratings. If they are both 8 ohm rated you've got a mismatch per speaker. If the 410 is 4 ohm and the 210 is 8 there is a balance per "pair". There are threads on this here on TB. I've got a NL210iii and love it on it's own. If I need more I swap it for a Epifani UL410 series 1 @ 4 ohm. If I want more I add them. BUT that results in a 2.6 ohm load - BAD for most amps. Im running an Iamp800 which is good down to two ohms and have not had a problem. Also both cabs have similar "sensitivity" ratings so the efficiency of the cabs together is well matched and the individual speakers have the same watt rating too. In the real world though what I have found is that if the 1000 or 1200 watt capable 410 is not enough, there is most likely PA support at that show. I got my 410 first, it I had to do it over I would just have the two NL210's, small and large venue capable. At the same time I'm dying to try that CX112, I keep reading it's stellar with the NL210.

13. ShantiCat

ShantiCat

Yes some like the CxL112 with the NL210 but I for one could not stand it. You think there would be synergy with the 112 getting a bit lower but ymmv with this combination.

I first had a CxL 110 that I paired with the CxL112 and that left me wanting more so I bought a second CxL112. However two of them combined had me wanting a little higher end that could cut through the mix better. So I sold one CxL112 and paired the other with a NL210. Ugh - could not wait to get rid of that combination. Sold the CxL112 and bought a second NL210 and that was the right combination.

I use an iAMP800 so one NL210 if I did not have to be screaming loud and 2 when I did. Since I played in a metal band I found 2 NL210's cut through the mix beautifully.

My advice to the OP; try what you have before you start chasing a sound that you have not heard in a band mix yet. Or go buy every cab you can think you want and try them all!

14. Tommy L

Tommy L

I'm a power amp user, so that isn't an issue for my setups.
    A friend of mine is coming over with his NL210 and 112's.
    So I'll get to try out a couple other EA's :)

Tommy L sends....

15. Tommy L

Tommy L

Great advice! Thank you! ;)

Hi "T"! I really like this NL210 with my two 15's monitors on each
    side. Rounds out the bottom beautifully. But the form factor of
    the 15's are monitor wedges and do not stack :(

Tommy L sends.....

16. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I can give you good reason to not use the CXL112. THERE ARE NO REPLACEMENT PARTS AVAILABLE!! NONE!!

17. Tommy L

Tommy L

Hmmmmm, This is good info. Thank you! :)

18. bgavin

bgavin Supporting Member

That is one very good reason, and can apply to any cab using a custom (non-retail) driver.

The DIY cabs (fEarful, Bill Fitzmaurice) are built around retail drivers.
    A few drivers, such the Eminence HL10, have gone extinct.
    By far, most of the Eminence drivers used for the last 10 years are still available.

19. Tommy L

Tommy L

Maybe a good reason to go back to thinking .... BUILD! :D

Tommy L sends....

20. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

I would try a second NL210 before doing anything else. Anything different is going to be a gamble on whether it will work or not.

21. Tommy L

Tommy L

True for some, but for me and how I use power amps, I can provide separate X overing or EQing to the different cabinets.

I'm really liking my 15's in a sealed cabinet. The sound is really good, but as stated earlier, the form factor is not stack friendly.

I made a 2x10 cabinet (sealed) years ago. I still have it, but it needs real drivers in it. The cabinet is loaded with Wonky/Cheap Car Audio Subs. I'm thinking of loading that up with some 300Watt Neo's and see how she sounds. Could be hit or miss and I'm not sure what a sealed 2x10 will sound like. lol....

The Saga continues.......

Tommy L Sends....