eurosonic?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by Jeff Bollbach, Mar 7, 2002.

1. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

One of my dealers is trying to sell me some "Eurosonic" strings. Anybody know anything?
    thanks in advance-
    jeff
  2. oldsaw

oldsaw

Jeff,

It looks as if you and KevinLee should are looking for the same thing.

I have never heard of them. Tell the distributor to give you a few sets for your friends to try out.

I am a friend.....right?

Mark
  3. Jeff Bollbach

I'll ask, but the dealer [jr music] sez they are pretty much the pizz.
  4. oldsaw

oldsaw

Gee, I was getting GAS
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Jeff if you hear anything about the Euosonics please post it.

Never have I searched for info on a string and gotten so little feedback.

What I have heard is they are steel core, nylon wrapped, low tension, supposedly gut like in feel and sound.

Sounds promising but I was hoping to hear from players with some hands-on experience before I tried them myself.

Kevinlee
  7. Don Higdon

Don Higdon

You big chicken. A real bass player has $700 worth of assorted strings laying in a drawer.:D
  8. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Your right, I'm only up to $500.00 worth.

But give me a couple more months and......

Kevinlee
  9. Jeff Bollbach

You gotta three-string?! Tell us about it!
  10. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Ah yes, my faithful old three string. It's retired at the moment untill I invest some money into her for some drasticlly needed repairs. It was bought for me at this now defunct vintage music store by a crazy ex-girlfriend of mine.

Anyway I would be out playing it in this sort of weird swing band I was in at the time and it was recognized by three of it's previous owners.

So I got a kind of history on it through them and was led to believe it was Mexican made, about 80 or so years old. But I had the guy I bought my new german bass from look at it (this guy specializes in old string insturments) and he tells me it is actually Russian made. That back in the day they use to import alot of the Russian basses through mexico, something to do with the cold war I guess.

The bass is definatly rough, very handmade but kinda charming in a funky way. You can click this link and see a couple pix of her in action before the retirement.

http://wildcat.arizona.edu/papers/91/10/11_1_m.html

Kevinlee
  11. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Well I got the set of Eurosonics that were on ebay so as soon as I get them and try them out, I will post my review/opinion on them.

Kevinlee
  12. Francois Blais

Francois Blais Supporting Member

I bought a new G and D today from Uptonbass.
    I'll let you know of the result in a couple of weeks...
  13. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

hey jeff-
    I've been getting the same calls about carrying Eurosonics. Got a set last week and strung them up. Man! These things are huge. The E is almost 4mm in diameter. A-3.2mm, D-2.5mm, G-2mm. I play gut anyways, so it wasn't too much of a jump. They are very gut-like; moreso than the tapewound Labellas or the Supernils. Short sustain, loud, and a decent slap tone. The E and A have a quick punch, and I will probably use them in conjunction with a plain gut G and D. Again, I doubt many steel-string players will dig them. And bowing is dang near impossible.
  14. Francois Blais

Nick,
    how about the D and G?
    You don't like them?

TIA.
  15. nicklloyd

Francois-
    Well, I should say that the G and D aren't for me. If I were playing straight pizz, maybe the whole set would work. But a good part of my playing incorporates slap-style technique, and nothing beats that rich gut tone. The Eurosonics' G and D are a little too bright and tinny when slappped (like most strings); the E and A give a much quicker, fatter note, and the thicknesses match gut strings well. Many bassists use Spirocores or Obligatos on the E and A. That's a great sound. But, Gut D strings are about the same thickness as a metal E strings. It feels awkward, to me, to go up the register and not have a gradual increase in string diameter.
    Does this make any sense? :rolleyes:
  16. Francois Blais

The string diameter usually decreases when going up toward the top. It's related to physics laws. If you prefer thicker strings all over the bass, it's your choice!
    :)
  17. nicklloyd

what I wanted to say is...
    a gradual decrease in string diameter as the left hand goes up the register
  18. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

Well I must say, I'm pretty impressed. After about an hour of playing I find these have a clear warm tone, easy on the fingers, low tension, (about the same as Jargar dolce) they even seem to be staying somewhat in tune!

They also work with a magnetic pu. Which is something that most strings of similar construction don't do.

The E string is quite large but they graduate down accordingly. They take a little getting use to after switching from steel but I think I'm gonna like um.

But I say that whenever I put new strings on. It helps justify the expense. As far as bowing, I'm probably not the best person to pass judgement in this area. I have a cheap synthetic bow and I pretty much suck at bowing anyway.

Kevinlee
  19. Francois Blais

I got my G and D yesterday.
    I put on the G only.
    I must admit I don't like it. Tinny sounding.
    The craftmanship seems very good, but not my sound, sorry.
  20. Kevinlee

Kevinlee

I can see how you might find the G kind of tinny. Although I would say more twangy. The whole set has a bit of Twang to them. Which at first seems a bit odd, but with a little eq adjustment I managed to dial them in to my liking.

The tinny/twangy quality sort of brings out the brightness and clarity though. And having a rather dark sounding bass to begin with this works out well for me.

It seems like all G strings are kind of tinny in comparison with the D, A, and E. This is something I never had to concern myself with when I was playing my three-string.

Kevinlee
  21. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

I tried out a set of Eurosonics. Weirdest strings I've ever played! Gigantic diameter, quite a bit of tension, and a bumpy feel. The E played pizz had bizarre overtones. The best thing about them is the Hendrix-like screeching and feedback effects you get when you play them arco near the bridge! I played "Star Spangled Banner" and had Woodstock flashbacks...anyone want to buy them from me wholesale before I send them back to the distributor? I think they might work for Hillbilly music.