EV ZLX112P vs EV ELX112P vs QSC K12?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by tbirdsp, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

Any experience with these speakers, especially the difference between the EV ELX and newer ZLX speakers? Our singer is looking at buying some decent powered PA speakers (no you can't have her:D ) I was thinking ZLX but the place she is talking to is trying to steer her to the older (and more expensive, and heavier) ELX.

We will be using one or two EV ELX 118P powered subs.

2. tbirdsp

Anybody use either of these EV models? :confused:

3. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I use a single ZLX112P as my guitar rig with a POD XT Live, and can use it as a bass amp as well :) What kind of questions do you have??

Peace,
    Greg

4. tbirdsp

Well - reliability and would like to know how the ZLX stacks up against the ELX. I mentioned the QSC K12 just for comparison purposes.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. kanonfodr

kanonfodr Supporting Member

I didn't really test the ELX vs the ZLX, I was simply looking for a light, flat-responding powered speaker that I could use with my effects processors for guitar and bass. What honestly impressed the crap out of me was how well the speaker handled the bass plugged in direct - fantastic sounds from my Ibanez SR 506!! But comparing one against the others...I haven't done that. Odds are, I would go with the ZLX over the ELX - lighter, cheaper, newer. But ultimately, it's whatever makes your ears happiest.

Peace,
    Greg

7. tbirdsp

Yeah - that's what I thought, but the place she is buying from (which is a sound production company too) said the older ELX are better.

8. modulusman

modulusman

Maybe because if costs more.:rolleyes: The newer model is at a lower price point to compete with other cheap junk. With PA you get what you pay for.

9. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Other than the DSP, the ZLX and ELX have the exact same components. I have owned both and they are both very fine cabs. I think the ELX may sound slightly better than the ZLX, but for the difference in price the ZLX is hard to beat. I like either better than the K12 and there are some keyboards players on Keyboard Corner who think the ZLX sounds better than the K12.

If you're using the EV ELX18p subs I would favor the ZLX as it has more control over the crossover points.

My guess is whoever she is talking to is pushing the ELX because the ZLX is outselling them and they need to move some stock.

10. lakefx

lakefx Supporting Member

I have a single ZLX that we use for vocals and acoustic guitar during rehearsal. I used to work with a really good sound company about 20 years ago and the ZLX blows away any of the small speakers they had. For the price, they are truly fantastic.

11. tbirdsp

Thanks for the replies guys. I just found out the place is ordering a pair of both ZLX and ELX and will let us AB them. I'll post my impressions.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Media:
    I have K0's and like them a lot. Great feature set and they sound like hifi, not PA. The EV Live X sounded wooly in the low end by comparison. Too warm... I also own JBL PRX 612's. I run the K10's as monitors amd the PRX's as mains in some spaces. Other, larger spaces the k10's and K Subs are mains, the PRX's are monitors.

If I were going with a set of powered 12's I would definately listen to the PRX's. They are warmer than the QSC's but not overly so down deep.