EV12L for bass

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 20, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I own an EV15L for bass but I also have an EV12L.

Anyone use these for bass?

I am curious about mixing the 12L with the 15L as well.

2. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Joking?

Right?

Or just not into classic Brit metal?

Regards
    Sam

3. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I have a 71 Marshall Smallbox 50 and a Celestion loaded Sound City 4x12 for 70's hard rock/metal.... not sure what that has to do with my question though!

No I am not joking about using an EV12L for bass guitar either....the EV15L is very good for bass and I see an increasing amount of folks using 12" speakers for bass guitar.

The EV12L has the long throw voice coil and high power handling....I actually wondered if it could do double duty for bass and guitar in a sealed cabinet.

4. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

No offense what so ever intended, but since Steve Harris of Iron Maiden has used EV12L loaded cabs for as long as I can remember, as well as quite an amount of people who's trying to mimic his tone, the wording of Your question just seems a bit odd that's all.

Good is very subjective thing as always, I do like them even though I do prefer the 18's in my EV TL505's cabs, but it's not what I would consider a modern bass tone. Not that any sealed 412 fall into that category either.

:)

Decreasing if You ask me, but then again 412 half and full stacks is what people used to use here in Europe in 80's when I started out.
    Never again will they be as popular as back then I'd guess.
    And yes, I had a Marshall 412+215 bass stack as well ;).

IME no in the traditional guitar speaker sense.
    There's very little breakup, and the tone is too bottom heavy. Stays very clean though so if clean guitar is the goal, why not.

A lot of guitarists from since the early days of heavy rock have used "bass" cabs to thicken out their tone though, so the idea isn't far fetched at all.

Regards
    Sam

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. DukeLeJeune

DukeLeJeune Only immortal for a limited time Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner & designer, AudioKinesis; Auth. mfg, Big E (Home Audio only)
    If you mean the EVM12L, its parameters don't really look all that great for bass guitar to me. I suppose it would be a decent candidate for moderate loudness 4-string bass, and its efficiency makes it low-powered tube-amp friendly. But that 3.3mm x-max will be the limiting factor.

If you're looking for a speaker that can do both bass and guitar speaker, I've heard of guitarists using the Eminence Delta Pro 12A, and its parameters (including x-max) are better suited for bass guitar than those of the EVM12L. I don't know of anyone actually using it for both in the same cab.

Neither the EVM12L nor the Delta Pro 12A are going to give you much bottom end in a sealed box. If it's going to be a double-duty cab, you might design it as a ported box with pluggable ports.

7. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks, yeah I saw Iron Maiden on the 'Number of the Beast' tour opening for the Scorpions....and yes, fully aware of 60's & 70's bands using 4x12's for bass since I am 54 LOL!

I have ran my Eden Metro thru a pair of 8 ohm 4x12's, sounded pretty good too!

Mainly 10's, 15's and 18's from what I can see but I know of a few that have moved to a single 12 for bass recently.

I just happened to have an EV12L laying around unused...I don't care for it with guitar much, its too hi-fi, but I was thinking more along the lines of using one of my many tube amps with it for bass if not keyboard use.

Gotta tell you guys, I saw Joe Bonamassa 2 times in tiny clubs with a 100 watt head driving each pair of 2x12 EV12L in a 4x12...so there were 4 100 watt heads driving a pair of EV loaded 4x12's all total....in a CLUB that held no more than 100 people!

I will probably just sell it.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    You can use the EV12L for moderate volume bass.

Search the internet for "Mesa thiele 1x12 for bass". The thiele cab is built around the EVM-12L.

T-Bird... what u smoking? I dont feel like contradicting you on every single point but I disagree with everything you are saying. :p

9. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    You could use it for bass, sure. It just won't do much for the deep lowend. Porting the box can help with that some, but it's just not designed for deep lows. Probably sound like a leaner version of your 15L.

Would make a nice little practice rig with a modest powered tube amp. Would probably take 3 of them to play the 100-seat club. I don't really see gigging with a single except for coffehouses, small acousticy type gigs, etc.

10. wmheilma

wmheilma

Long ago I had an EV12L in a theile cab. It makes a nice little practice rig, but it is too small for bass when playing with a drummer. Ok for guitar but not bass in band context. Wish I had not sold mine :)

11. Passinwind

Passinwind Charlie Escher Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Yep, that was exactly my experience, at least with using just one. Nicer for many guitar styles with something nastier added on top too, IMHO.

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

I had a coupe of 412 Mesa Boogie cabinets with EVM12L's in them back in the 80's. They were used with a Mesa Coliseum head that was marketed for both bass and guitar.

The Stones first used them.

13. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I play guitar and bass, and currently have two Mesa Recto 2x12s loaded with them. I've played bass through them, and while they don't fart out, there is nothing going on below 100 Hz.

If you model them in a sealed enclosure, you'll see that they start dropping off around 200 Hz or so IIRC - they suck in a sealed enclosure, but it works fine for guitar, and the high Xmax (relative to guitar applications) allows you to dial in a lot of low end.

But for bass, especially in a sealed box, don't bother. They are heavy, expensive, and don't perform well. Pro musicians are often just as uninformed as everyone else when it comes to gear, so I wouldn't try to emulate on that basis alone - there's a lot of other factors when it comes to live and studio tones that you're unlikely to duplicate with just the speakers.

14. beans-on-toast

Yes, the EVM12L is best used ported and may not be the best bass speaker. Good guitar speaker if you want clean. The Mesa cabinet was what they called a half back. They recommended Celestion speakers in the sealed half and EVMs in the open half to provide a blend of dirt and clean. Remember, this was the 80's.

Since you have the speaker, try it and see what you think. Sometimes it might give you a unique sound or blend when used with other speakers that you are looking for. There's a difference between what might work for recording as opposed to playing loud. We were recording a Beatles song and wanted a thin guitar tone for Day Tripper. A speaker was pulled out of a VOX AC30 and we stuck a mic on it outside of the cabinet. It worked like a charm.

15. nysbob

nysbob

I've got an EV12 in my SB12 fliptop.

Super for recording & definitely an improvement over the stock jensen or whatever they used in those originally.

16. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

You're not allowed to contradict the good T-Bird. He's ten years older than you!!!

:D

17. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Ya put wheels on the cabinet to make it a Coupe??? :)

18. beans-on-toast

That dang spill in checker is always mess in with me!

19. beans-on-toast

20. brianrost

brianrost

Used one for many years in a TL cab built from EV plans...loved it for bass guitar, not so hot for upright which is why I got rid of it. Ran it with an AMP 420 head...no problems getting loud with that sucker ;)

21. beans-on-toast

That's a good example where it works.

I've got an EVM12 in a Mark IV Mesa Boogie combo that I use for bass (lower levels) and guitar. Works well for recording.