1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

EV15L series II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by DavidEdenAria, Jan 14, 2014.

1. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

I own one of these speakers and have several guitar amps and cabinets that I have tried it with.

However, I have never tried this for bass guitar.

Is this speaker safe to try with a ported 15 cabinet to use for bass?

What about a sealed cabinet, is this preferable?

Maybe this is not the right EV for bass guitar, I honestly don't know.

Fwiw, I am not crazy about this speaker for guitar use as its a bit cold and sterile, very hi-fi sounding but certainly very flat in response and tight bass.

I lean towards more vintage sounding alnico speakers for many of my guitar amps.

My bass amp is an Eden Metro from 2004 with the 2x10s, how would this EV speaker match up with the Eden?
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    15L was the spec'd speaker for EV TL-606 cabs as well as early Mesa Boogies, Dietz, and other bass cabs. No trouble playing it with bass. It may not get the big lows like reggae players use, but it's a fine speaker. Can't handle a crapload of power in the low frequencies, but doesn't have to. It plays so loud sound coming out per watt going in, it doesn't take much power to get gig-worthy loud.
  3. Old Fart

Old Fart

EVM 15s are my favorite bass speaker.
  4. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Thanks, I wasn't sure what the EV15L was designed for as there are several EV 15 versions.
  5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

15L extends upwards towards 4khz. The 15B drops off sooner. The lows were published as being the same 15L/15B.

These are really efficient drivers but fall behind current offerings by Eminence in the bass department.
  6. DavidEdenAria

DavidEdenAria

Usually, the lower the free air resonance on any driver is often less efficient....it takes LOTS of power to get very deep bass at much volume!

I think I will go ahead and try the EV15L series II with the Eden Metro but I have a Peavey Black Widow 15 as well (which I think is more of a ceramic JBL copy) that I will compare to the EV15L.
  7. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    Pretty different than the EV tonally, but the Peavey is also high sensitivity, plenty of loud coming out per watt going in.
  8. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Gold Supporting Member

Series II 200 watts
    EVM-15L bass/guitar
    EVM-15B bass

Pro Line 400 watts
    EVM-15L bass/guitar
    EVM-15B bass

that about covers it.