1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Evah Pirazzi on Chadwick Folding bass?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by truckplayer, Dec 14, 2012.

1. truckplayer

truckplayer

I am thinking of putting Evah Pirazzi light gauge on my Chadwick Folding bass. I am wondering how those strings would hold up to being detuned/tuned?

For those of you who are using a travel bass with strings being detuned/tuned, what kind of strings are you using?

Thanks!
  2. DoubleMIDI

DoubleMIDI

I only got a EP Weich G, but always had the impression (after changing it to something else and then back to the EP W) that it need some days to get stable. Maybe a bit less over time, but it stretched a lot until they reach the final tuning.
    Doing this on a travel bass rather often, I'm afraid this is not good for the life time of the string.
    I think a steel core string is a better choice for a travel bass.

Or you might try the Innovation 140B which is also a braided synthetic core string, but stretches less and seems more robust to me than the Evah Weich. They has a bit less tension than the Evah Weich, similar to Spiro Weich 4/4 (S42W).
    If you like a tension close to the Evah Weich and like a more old school sound, try the Innovation 140H with a solid synthetic core and more tension than the 140B.

But anyway, if you have synthetic core strings (or guts) be very careful not to bend the strings too much and kinks under all circumstances.
    Steel core strings are much more robust than any softer material core strings.
  3. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Yes, steel core should hold up a lot longer and have more stability.
  4. Kael

Kael

I also use a Chadwick and am interested in this. Still using helicore hybrids on mine. The more i play them, the more i think i am ok with them. Then i get on here and start convincing myself that a better alternative is out there. Well here or i play someone else's bass and start wondering about their strings.
  5. kurt

kurt

I used Evah solo gauge on and off for over a year and they held up quite well. The windings actually seem like they're holding up better than the spiros I took off! They take a while to stay in tune but can be done same day, just more tuning between songs but not too much. But yeah, usually a little better after a day. I can't tell much if the tone has changed much.

I also used Innovation 140B solo gauge and they worked well but the windings started coming apart a little after quite a few months. The strings were well used to start with though.
  6. truckplayer

truckplayer

Kurt

PM sent
  7. Jeremy Darrow

Jeremy Darrow

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Genz-Benz Amplifiers
    I was talking with Evan North, who works with Charlie, about string choices. He didn't think that Evahs worked well for the folding bass and that Helicores or Spiros were the best options.
  8. kurt

kurt

It all really comes down to personal preference and how willing you are to trade off tuning stability for the sound and feel you are after.

The spiros sounded good on the bass but felt like telephone wires on long gigs and had too much sustain for my taste and sounded a little too fretless electric.

I'm currently using weed whackers and sure, they take longer to settle in and are a bit of a pain but it can be done. If I can set the bass up at sound check they usually stay in tune by the gig. I have set up and played right before the gig and it's quite a pain but the bass still settles in after a few songs.

This set up works much better for most of the gigs I do so it's worth it to me to deal with the issues.
  9. Earl

Earl Supporting Member

Yes, Kurt, this is my experience as well. I am using Corde Lambert G, D, A and a flexocor E on my Chadwick. I have always been a gut and/or synthetic player so the idea of using all steel doesn't work for me even though they are generally the best overall choice for this bass. I find that the Lamberts settle in after an hour or so, and I don't think they will ever break so I am happy. And of course they feel and sound great to my ears, and are what I am used to on my main bass.
  10. RenanDias

RenanDias

Steel strings sounds awesome, for anyone who are at least a meter away from the bass, the far the better. For the player they sound harsh, annoying, agressive.
  11. Brian K

Brian K

After going through several sets of Evahs on my removable neck bass, I learned that they never regained their original tone after 2 or 3 flights. They went kind of 2-dimensional or muted in their overtones, or something. Dead strings.

I've gone back to spiros, but i do miss the sound of new evahs, I just can't afford a new set of strings every couple months.
  12. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

That's the thing about travel/detachable neck basses -- you're more limited with string choices. It's always seemed to me that the synthetic core strings like Evah and Obligato were the most prone to go dead from repeated removing and restringing. Plain gut strings don't seem to mind restringing so much, but they take a little while to settle and stretch each time. Wound gut can easily develop problems with the windings. If you're going to use one of these basses, I really think you should plan on using Spiros or another steel string.
  13. Jonny Mah

Jonny Mah

I tried Zyex's for a while on my Chadwick, but on my last tour I realized that for tuning stability and consistency spirocores are the best option for that instrument. With spiros I can get the bass set up and gig ready in only a few minutes, and with synthetics there is a lot more tuning and re-tuning involved.