Ever been punked by a chatshow house band?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by Downunderwonder, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

What would you do if the Letterman house band asked for an encore and when you refused they copped your "tune" and "vocal" better than the average bar band, live onair?

Shame on The Orwells.
  2. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

3. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Not exactly.

I didn't get the band, at all. They did nothing that The Strokes didn't do better a decade ago. Their singer's weird hybrid whiteboy gangsta/Iggy Pop stagecraft did nothing for me either. The band were clearly nervous, and the rigid and forced stage presence looked amateurish and terrible. The song was also boring. I don't like that move guitarist now pull where they have their guitars on short straps and lean over the top of the guitar like it was a gate or something. Coupled with skinny jeans it makes the guitarist look like a bird or something. The guitarist also broke most of his strings and spent the bulk of the time facing the drummer. Poor show.

Having said that, I think the hosue band were acting in good humour. I don't see it as the massive act of dick waving that most of the guys on here are. Perhaps this is how members of this forum would react in this given situation, but given that the Letterman band are 1) talented and 2) reach a wide audience I doubt they have this bitterness and desire to 'show up' younger musicians. This isn't a Talkbass thing. My brothers are professional classical musicians but make more money playing Theme from Titanic at weddings than they do utilising their real talents and playing challenging music. It sure makes them bitter at times, as their artistic integrity is seriously challenged, especially when their peers (who are more willing to focus on PR over practice) appear to be far more successful with far less talent.... food for thought.
  4. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

The music is decent, not better than any local band though.
    Everything else looks and sounds fake.
    The band's joke was very nice. Show them young punks what music is about.

Register to disable this ad
  5. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Well I don't know what the intentions were, really, bu it may have been in response to their personality more than their music. I mean they're on Letterman, and I can see how the singer flopping around and leaving the stage to sit on the couch (why would you do that?) could be construed as disrespectful. I got an heir of self-entitlement coupled with blatant arrogance from the lead singer (could be wrong but that's just my impression), and that could have just been Letterman's and Scahffer's (spelling?) response. They've had bands like that on there before, so I doubt it was the house band saying "look how much better than you we are..." they wouldn't have anything to gain in doing that. However, I could definitely see this being a response to what I perceive as just a bunch of kids who came on Letterman's show and acted fools. If it were me, and all that stuff was part of my act, I probably would have toned it down out of respect for the awesome opportunity I had been given...
  6. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

I would have had a 2nd song ready.
  7. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Supporting Member

I'm sure they had been told "you play your one song and then we roll credits," so the spontaneity of being shouted at to play more probably took them by surprise. Three of the five were clearly confused but actually went ahead and played along with the house band. One guitarist had ripped the strings off his instrument - I suppose that was supposed to be a "punk" thing to do.

I'm curious what the house band was thinking, too. I don't think it was necessarily a pissing contest, but my idea is that they've seen all kinds of acts - very talented acts - come across that stage. The kids' tune was an incredibly repetitive piece of crap, and if they came in with attitude and hype, and then played that, I can see the band being annoyed and insulted. If you're going to get your shot on Letterman, you should bring your A game, and they didn't.
  8. ShonenCello

ShonenCello

Didn't catch the guitar string thing.

I've seen other bands on Letterman get another song as the credits roll.
  9. cnltb

cnltb

Absolutely!!
    Should go without saying!
    I think the fact that the didn't or wouldn't play one more was the worst bit of it all.
  10. Rocker949

Rocker949

Calling the song an incredibly repetitive piece of crap is being too kind. Nevertheless, I'll go ahead and go along with that description.
  11. but_ch

but_ch

If you've ever seen Letterman, you'd know he sometimes calls for another song- especially when he likes the band. Had they done their homework they could have had a second song ready. They do have at least an album worth of material. And I'm sure they have at least one friend who told them to have another song ready.
  12. M0ses

M0ses

The band was nervous as hell before they played a note. They looked like a deer in the headlights. Letterman was a dumbass to put the poor saps on the spot like that; they were clearly completely overwhelmed. The house band was just trying to defuse the situation. What are they going to do, roll credits after an intensely awkward situation like that? No. That's not even a possibility. Doing what they did was excellent showmanship. Unlike the Orwells.
  13. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Agreed. If we had been at a local club and this band played this song, we would have left. The song was average, the singer was pretty bad, and their stage presence was non-existant.

And Shaffer and the band did what they did out of fun, not malice. I thought it was hysterical.
  14. jgroh

jgroh Supporting Member

I dont even care about what went on with the house band, but that song/playing S U C K E D! How in the hell did they get booked on Letterman? They are awful.
  15. Charley Umbria

Charley Umbria I'm Really a Drummer Supporting Member

Pathetic. Most of the time Dave greets band with a polite, "Hi, thanks for being here." The host of an iconic late night show is screaming for more, and you don't know any other songs? Seriously sad. Who the hell are labels signing these days?!?

I'll have to respectfully disagree with M0ses. Letterman wasn't a dumbass for putting these guys on the spot. He's got every right to expect "professional artists" who appear on his show to be competent. I don't care what The Orwells expected to do or even what their handlers told them they'd be doing, they accepted a big-league gig and were clearly not capable of handling it.

That was some serious Amateur Hour, high school talent show-caliber BS.

Oh, yeah, and the music was monotonous, derivative crap.
  16. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz

Bands that won't meet their target audience by blowing smoke up the rear-ends of sexagenarian chatshow hosts and other 'old media' dinosaur outlets...
  17. WillInDenver

WillInDenver An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

There's another thread about this going on, and it's on its 6th or 7th page now.

I think the best part of that thread is where someone complained about "a bunch of 45 year olds bullying the kids."

A) I don't see any bullying. The band had to play out the credits and Dave asked for another song by the Orwells. Orwells couldn't provide so Shaffer did.

B) 45?! I'm 42 and those same guys were doing that gig when I was in high school. Cooler theme song then, though.
  18. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

19. bass12

bass12 Fueled by chocolate Supporting Member

I'm still failing to see what the big deal is with this whole thing. I mean, Paul getting down on the floor was a bit weird but besides that, who cares?
  20. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Doc Severinsen made fun of my bell bottom trousers and Ed Shaughnessy threw a brush at me!!!

Not really, but it would have been a cool story...

The late night bands have always been smokin'