Ever been trapped under Bench Press without spotter?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Rush-2112, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

So this question came into my head earlier when I was at the gym. I usually have some gym buddies, but every so often I go on my own if I have to. I wanted to do some chest, but told myself I wouldn't push it too heavy because I had no one to spot me. So I got to wondering, what would one do if one were to get stuck under the bench press? This can go for either the traditional free weight barbell, or Smith machine (which I assume would be tougher because you can't just "roll it off" like a barbell).

Have you ever been in this predicament, and what did you do? If not, what do you think you'd do?

2. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

Probably came close when I started lifting, the only time I can really remember having bother on the bench was when I got a killer calf cramp coming out of the hole. Talk about being taken by surprise! I try to stay within my capabilities, can feel if I'm not going to make the next rep, rarely had a spotter.

Rolling it would also be an option, on a smith could you not just try and catch the barbell on the lower notches, if you can get it up a bit?

3. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

it happened to me at a weight i was used to, lol. i yelled for help to some buddies that were chatting right next to me. once, my spotter spotted some girls butt instead of me and my shoulder popped,... OUCH!!!

4. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

No. I don't do lifts I can't finish when I don't have a spotter. Also, the smith machine I use has stoppers you can set to the height you want. I don't use it to bench press but perhaps the one at your gym can do that to.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story Supporting Member

No. I use DBs when I'm not with a spotter.

7. chadds

chadds

Don't half notes weigh less than whole notes?

8. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

All the free weight benches at the gym I go to have adjustable stoppers on them, so I just set those before I start doing my sets.

lowsound

9. duff beer

duff beer

I have a power rack in my basement and the safety bars are always set. But I normally bench with dumbells instead...it's a lot easier on the shoulders, ensures equal work for both arms, and it's a lot easier to bail if you need.

10. Bloodhammer

Bloodhammer Twinkle Twinkle Black Star

When I was in high school, a friend told me the way to bench press without a spotter was to not screw the spin collars onto the ends of the bar to secure the weights. If you get pinned, you just tip the bar either right or left and the weights on that side fall off onto the floor, then the bar pops back up in the air and the weights on the other side fall off the bar onto the floor. I've never done it, though.

11. bmb73

bmb73

Great advice. Also, doing a bench press without the collars is totally fine. Just tip the bar and the weights will go. Its good to not and try to ever max out without a spotter though, that is just asking for trouble.

12. muzikman7

muzikman7

It happened to me once four of us were taking turns,when it was my turn they went to another part of the room and started talking, something was said and I started laughing and started to lose control of the weight fortunately one of the guys turned around and came over to help out.

13. Icey101

Icey101

yeh, what i did was to pull out before it hits your neck as the weight comes down, push it forward above the top of your head, then at the same time turn your head sideways to reduce the height so it doesnt land on your face then pull yourself forward with your feet...it will make a noise when it slams into the steal bench up rights, but you should survive ...lol

14. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Seems like most guys like their free weights. I do too, but I also love adding onto a bar from time to time. Whenever I do things like bench or military press, I always leave one side of the bar completely free from a lock. I know it's a bit dangerous, but I make sure my area is void of people for the most part, and I then I'll just go for it. All I know is if I ever need to drop the weights I can do it, even if I don't have a spotter.

15. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
  16. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

I've sorta-kinda had this happen to me about 3-4 times all in the past 4 months. I'll think I can get that last lift out and I won't quite make it to the bar. I've come up with a bit of a plan since this is something I have wondered for YEARS (at least 7). I'm never so wiped that I flat-out cannot support the bar any more so I'll lower it as gently as I can to somewhere between my chest and stomach and, using my chest for support, I rotate to the side and kind of slide it all off me.

Then I thank lawd jebus that nobody saw me.

17. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

Aww, puddin' lol :p

18. Kwesi

Kwesi Supporting Member

No one must know that I'm a lot weaker than my size would suggest :atoz:! Working on it though!

19. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

No I was never dumb enough to do it without one. I saw a guy drop 400lbs on his chest once when the spotter failed him.

20. rtslinger

rtslinger

No heavy BP without a spotter If I have to BP alone I use no collars so if something happens it is easier to push up one side than both.The weights slide off and you just let the other side go off in a controlled slide.

21. i_got_a_mohawk

i_got_a_mohawk

The talk of spotters make me sad I'm missing out on gym time at the moment.

January was always the best time for catching spectacular poor form in the gym. I do miss the tandem bench press/upright row.