1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a FREE Account to post and unlock tons of features!

Ever break a string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JPrinos, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    I went to a local bar (The Silver Dollar) last Friday (Jan 3) here in Toronto and saw 3 bands.

The last one had this bass player using a Fender Jazz (MIM?). His playing was interesting to me. His band was playing originals and his parts were pretty cool and melodic. The only thing was he was playing with a pretty high intensity. He was using fingers and for some of his playing, he emulated a pick style with his fingers. In the middle of is set, he played so hard, he broke his D string.

Anyone else ever break a string playing? I can't imagine playing so hard to break what is best described as a steel cable.

2. Purplefowler

Purplefowler

Jan 3, 2014
    Uk
    Yep. Back in the day I was in a Britpop/new wave band and had a g string go on stage. It was one of the scariest experiences! It went with a huge twang and whipped out just missing me. When bass strings go, they go with some force!

3. Sponsored by:

to hide this ad and more.
  4. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    Doesn't happen as frequently as 6-string guitar, but it does happen.

5. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Nov 12, 2013
    Virginia
    Yup... in the 23 years that I've been playing it's only happened twice, but it certainly can!

6. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2013
    East of the Sun
    Two g-strings on the same show in about 1982 or so. I suspect the sets I was carrying had been assembled out of a bad run of .045s.

7. I used to break E strings regularly when I first started playing in bands. I used super heavy picks, and I'd go through about one or two E strings a month, all broken at the bridge. After getting a bass with a better bridge and easing up in the attack a little, I've not broken a string in probably 7-8 years.

8. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Ever break a string?

Yes.
    On my ashbory.

9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Sep 11, 2012
    Chicago
    Few months ago.. broke my A string during Barracuda. Broke the core at the bridge.. windings held the string together enough that it got itself wrapped/tangled up in both the D and G string... Swapped to my backup bass in about 8 seconds and kept playing.

I think I've had it happen 3-4 times total. I play pretty aggressively, fingers and pick.

10. Only once or twice maybe & not since the late 80's. It was probably due to bad strings or a bur on the bridge as I haven't had it happen since.

11. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Only once in 35 years of gigging. And yes, it left a mark. (on me)

12. headband

headband

Oct 18, 2013
    Indiana
    Yes, but not in 30 or so years. When younger I played aggressively with a pick. It happened 2 or 3 times.

13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Supporting Member

I have run flats strung thru-body, playing finger style since 1982 and have never broken a string

14. Seems that the only strings I've broken were simply dud strings.

15. JPrinos

JPrinos

May 16, 2008
    Toronto, Canada
    Another question. When you broke a string, was it while picking or playing with fingers?

16. ranman1990

ranman1990

Dec 6, 2013
    Broke an a string first time I ever played

17. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2005
    Wheeling WV
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Since I have never played with a pick.... :bassist:

18. bass geetarist

bass geetarist

Jul 29, 2013
    toronto
    I'd guess I've broken 10 or less in about 20 years of aggressive fingerstyle playing. Probably about 30-40 6 string guitar strings, though I play guitar much less frequently.

19. Back in my road days (early 80s) I would constantly break the A & occasionally the E. I was pretty much a straight up pick player back then & I figure it was just corrosion from my hand resting on the bridge 4 hours a night, 6 nights a week.
    They always broke at the core so suddenly it would just go slack. I was playing a Ray & a 4001 at the time & it happened with 'em both.
    Play finger style now & haven't broken a string in many, many years of pretty aggressive wailing. I suspect my technique may also have improved.

20. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    I broke an E last night.

I play with my fingers. I break 3 or 4 a year and have done that every year since I started 40+ years ago.

Most commonly broken is E, but I get 'em all sooner or later.

21. two fingers

two fingers You tahkin 'uh me? Yeah, you. You tahkin 'uh me? Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sure. Several A strings over the years and a few E and B strings. I was actually partially endorsed by a string company (still am technically) and can't use their stuff because I pop their A strings like nothing.