Ever break a string?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JPrinos, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JPrinos

JPrinos

I went to a local bar (The Silver Dollar) last Friday (Jan 3) here in Toronto and saw 3 bands.

The last one had this bass player using a Fender Jazz (MIM?). His playing was interesting to me. His band was playing originals and his parts were pretty cool and melodic. The only thing was he was playing with a pretty high intensity. He was using fingers and for some of his playing, he emulated a pick style with his fingers. In the middle of is set, he played so hard, he broke his D string.

Anyone else ever break a string playing? I can't imagine playing so hard to break what is best described as a steel cable.
  2. Purplefowler

Purplefowler

Yep. Back in the day I was in a Britpop/new wave band and had a g string go on stage. It was one of the scariest experiences! It went with a huge twang and whipped out just missing me. When bass strings go, they go with some force!
  3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings Supporting Member

Doesn't happen as frequently as 6-string guitar, but it does happen.
  4. coughiefiend

coughiefiend

Yup... in the 23 years that I've been playing it's only happened twice, but it certainly can!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Humbled

Humbled Supporting Member

Two g-strings on the same show in about 1982 or so. I suspect the sets I was carrying had been assembled out of a bad run of .045s.
  7. Bluedevilxx

Bluedevilxx

I used to break E strings regularly when I first started playing in bands. I used super heavy picks, and I'd go through about one or two E strings a month, all broken at the bridge. After getting a bass with a better bridge and easing up in the attack a little, I've not broken a string in probably 7-8 years.
  8. cnltb

cnltb

Ever break a string?

Yes.
    On my ashbory.
  9. Scottkarch

Scottkarch

Media:
    Few months ago.. broke my A string during Barracuda. Broke the core at the bridge.. windings held the string together enough that it got itself wrapped/tangled up in both the D and G string... Swapped to my backup bass in about 8 seconds and kept playing.

I think I've had it happen 3-4 times total. I play pretty aggressively, fingers and pick.
  10. GLEN18INCHSPICA

GLEN18INCHSPICA

Only once or twice maybe & not since the late 80's. It was probably due to bad strings or a bur on the bridge as I haven't had it happen since.
  11. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Only once in 35 years of gigging. And yes, it left a mark. (on me)
  12. headband

headband Supporting Member

Yes, but not in 30 or so years. When younger I played aggressively with a pick. It happened 2 or 3 times.
  13. etoncrow

etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum) Gold Supporting Member

I have run flats strung thru-body, playing finger style since 1982 and have never broken a string
  14. spade2you

spade2you

Seems that the only strings I've broken were simply dud strings.
  15. JPrinos

JPrinos

Another question. When you broke a string, was it while picking or playing with fingers?
  16. ranman1990

ranman1990

Broke an a string first time I ever played
  17. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    Since I have never played with a pick.... :bassist:
  18. bass geetarist

bass geetarist Supporting Member

I'd guess I've broken 10 or less in about 20 years of aggressive fingerstyle playing. Probably about 30-40 6 string guitar strings, though I play guitar much less frequently.
  19. Thrust Meatnozl

Thrust Meatnozl

Back in my road days (early 80s) I would constantly break the A & occasionally the E. I was pretty much a straight up pick player back then & I figure it was just corrosion from my hand resting on the bridge 4 hours a night, 6 nights a week.
    They always broke at the core so suddenly it would just go slack. I was playing a Ray & a 4001 at the time & it happened with 'em both.
    Play finger style now & haven't broken a string in many, many years of pretty aggressive wailing. I suspect my technique may also have improved.
  20. nysbob

nysbob

I broke an E last night.

I play with my fingers. I break 3 or 4 a year and have done that every year since I started 40+ years ago.

Most commonly broken is E, but I get 'em all sooner or later.
  21. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Sure. Several A strings over the years and a few E and B strings. I was actually partially endorsed by a string company (still am technically) and can't use their stuff because I pop their A strings like nothing.