1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

ever forget what/how you played something?

Discussion in 'Ask Justin Meldal-Johnsen' started by casbonano, Jan 6, 2013.

1. casbonano

casbonano

hey Justin,

first off, thanks for being available to the tb community. you are truely one of my favorite bassist for so many reasons (and your hair isnt even one of them!)

but to my question:

do you ever play something on a take and then later on when you need to play it again because it grooved so hard, you had a hard time getting that same groove? likewise, have you ever come up with a bassline for yourself or an artist you are working with and later on after a long time of not playing it and having to recall it find yourself thinking, "man! im not playing this quite right!"?

i ask because i have this problem sometimes and was wondering if it was symptomatic of some illness.

so many things with bass seem to not be quite as straight forward as they might first appear- little ghost notes here and there, little hammer on and so forth, and sometimes its so subtle that its really hard to recreate that same exact groove, for me at least. i mean, i can get it, but as an aspiring professional, i just feel like i should be able to recreate on command.

hope my writing was clear enough for you to understand my question.

thanks

carlos
  2. jmjbassplayer

jmjbassplayer Justin Meldal-Johnsen

Firstly Carlos, thank you for your praise!

As to your question, I sometimes go through this. I certainly understand what you're saying. But when I take things from the studio to live, for instance, I generally find out that the only think I really have trouble attempting to recreate sometimes is tone. And if I can't nail it or recreate it in a cool way, it gets quite frustrating. As far as playing, I'm generally pretty satisfied with the rendering.

"Recreating on command", I just think that's one of those things that improves with experience. I suppose it was harder for me years ago, but in all honesty I feel like I'm quite good at that now....I wish I had some specific tip to help you bridge that gap, but I think the only thing that's ever helped me is time and experience.

Good luck,
    Justin
  3. casbonano

casbonano

Thanks a lot for your time and reply. I really do appreciate it. Happy new year to you and yours (Mayan FAIL!!!)

oh! And congrats on the M83 Grammy Nomination!