1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ever have a really nice bass, but hate the look?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jtm3183, Mar 22, 2014.

1. jtm3183

jtm3183

For example, I was stuck between two jazz basses. One was an American Deluxe that had an amazing red finish and sweet pickguard, and then an American Standard that is just a standard black and white. I went with the black and white American Standard. A few dealbreakers were I hate basses that you have to plug in underneath, I've been plugging in on the surface since always, and the deluxe doesn't have that option. Two, it was 300 dollars more and didn't come with a case, both were used. So I love this Standard, but I hate how it looks. I want to change the pickguard, but if you've ever had a bass you didn't like the look of how'd you get over it or make it look better? This thing plays like a dream. Have any stories?

2. spanndrew

spanndrew

Well I wouldn't say nice, but I have a squier affinity that I got for about 60 dollars that plays like a dream. It's ugly, it's cheap, it's rusted, and it needs some attention; but it outplays my MIM jazz and my dean. So it's a keeper.

3. jtm3183

jtm3183

Damn, I actually upgraded from a Squier Affinity precision, it's a 20th anniversary one that I got for 80. The neck is warped and the bridge is rusted out, it's fine but I don't like it. I also have a dean, I prefer it over my squier.

4. punchdrunk

punchdrunk Supporting Member

I recently acquired an absolutely incredible modulus pj from here and it played/sounded simply fantastic..... BUT it had an 80's pointy headstock thing going on.... Sold it after a month..

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RxFunk

RxFunk

Add a tort pg, and some bridge/pu covers. It'll look great.

7. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

The one in my avatar. I really dislike fiesta red, but now that I have steadily gigged with it for the last 7 years, I don't care so much. The color really shows up under stage lights, and I love the feel and sound.

It's equally as ugly as my "butterscotch" '51 P RI, which also looks good in the bright lights.

You can't hear paint. :D

8. jtm3183

jtm3183

Yeah that's a good point! For the bridge/pickup covers, has anyone tried velcroing them on? I don't want to screw holes in my new bass, but I don't know if the velco will leave an adhesive mark or if it will hold. Any thoughts? And if I put on a pickup cover, would I need a thumbrest?

9. OneAri

OneAri

OP in the case of your Jazz I suggest swapping the pickguard for something other than white will work wonders. Often a basic colour and white guard makes even the nicest bass look like a starter pack bass or a plain knockoff- at least to my mind.
    There's plenty you could do, try ashtray bridge and pickup covers for a vintage look (maybe even lollipop tuners if the mood so takes you). Or try a larger bridge like a Babicsz or a Fender RSD. Maybe consider getting the headstock matched in black as well.
    A jazz is a great platform for modding, I'd like to get one in time to compliment my H1 and change it beyond recognition.

10. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

^^^^This, if it has a rosewood fret board; black pg if it has maple. I'd definitely attach the pu cover with tape and try playing, before you drill the body for screws. It seems to get in the way for many players, including me.

11. jtm3183

jtm3183

I won't change the bridge or the tuners. It's got the high mass string through, and I love it. On my old squier it's got a flimsy rusted bridge, and this one has got some bulk to it and is a rock, and it looks great. And I love the tuners, three days of being moved around in the case and played the hell out of it hasn't slipped tuning at all. I will probably switch it to a tort cause it's a rosewood fingerboard, I just want to get one cheaper. And I'll get a bridge cover and some velcro and see how it looks with just that. Kind of hesitant with the pickup cover because then I'd also have to drill holes into the pickguard if I choose to do so

12. jtm3183

jtm3183

You're right though, it does make it look like a starter/ripoff bass but it is incredible. The looks just don't do it justice.

13. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

14. jtm3183

jtm3183

Why does that bass have the four holes under the bridge pickup, is that for another bridge placement or what? I bet that thing has some stories behind it.

15. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Try to see the pg before you buy. Some of the tort on the market today looks OK, but a lot of it sucks big time. I put a Fender tort guard on my Precision that's not too bad, but is still doesn't compare to a 60s Celluloid tort guard.

16. jtm3183

jtm3183

I found one on ebay for $35 and it's a genuine fender, the seller on there wholesales them I think, but if I buy it I'd ask for a picture and see if there's a return policy on it or something. I don't think I could go wrong with 35 for a genuine fender part, but who knows.

17. Dragan

Dragan

this one
    [​IMG]

it was awesome buildt, awesome sound! really a tremendous instrument! like said,best tone ever,B string,everything.
    2 things actualy - first,that horn bellow really hurts your leg when practicing seated and second, the look itself. just wasnt my thing.

18. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

I bought a genuine fender, and the fit was perfect. Make sure that you get one for your particular model, i.e., American Standard, etc., since the hole patterns are different form MIM, etc.

19. Stealth Fighter

Stealth Fighter

Mutes.

20. jtm3183

jtm3183

Yeah, it says Fender American Series, it has 10 holes and the truss rod notch and in the description says it fits American Standard. That's the cheapest I've seen one that'll actually fit

21. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

Nope. If hey're ugly or beat up, I don't buy them. There are too many great sounding basses that I LIKE looking at for me to mess with ugly or beat-up (aka: reliced or worn in similar fashion) ones.