Ever Resurrected an Old Bass You Own,to be very Surprised ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pinz, Jan 20, 2014.

1. pinz

pinz

I had my trusty old '95 MIM Jazz,which I gigged with solidly for nearly a decade, lying around gathering dust for years because the body had various cracks and splits making set up near impossible.
    It had American Vintage pups and pots fitted,years ago which cost a bomb back then but it did sound and play great.

I ended up buying a MIA in 2007 to replace it,great bass,but I traded that for some drums (for one of my sons) and a Squier CV Jazz a while back.

I also bought a MIJ P Bass in the meantime which I love and gig, and left the CV to gather dust as well.

Since then I ended up with a Squier P bass special (J/P) config.The neck was really rubbish along with everything else and its my modding toy, its work in progress.

I got thinking ???

So the neck came off the CV and went on the P special,ended up with a great bass which is currently being fitted with Bill Lawrence pups as I type as I love that CV neck,besides the CV sounded poos so it was no loss.

Next the neck came off my MIM Jazz and ended up on the CV,but it badly needed sorting out.
    So I took all the bits around to a local bass wizard,got it back last week,he swapped the entire control plate and pups and wiring along with a complete set up.
    I gigged it Sat night....and wow,it was like an old friend returning,but in a different suit.
    It plays and sounds wonderful !

Some pics :)
    The original MIM bass

[​IMG]

The CV Before

[​IMG]

and After

[​IMG]

There is going to be a fight over which bass I use this weekend,so so pleased I made the effort to resurrect my old Jazz and didnt just biff it.

Anyone done anything similar ?

2. philvanv

philvanv Gerbil Turds, Kitsap County Turd Core

Disclosures:
    and at the bottom it says thank you, and now you can **** off
    I haven't but this is a great topic and Im interested to see what people have done.

3. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Good for you, well done!!
    Yes, I have two builds from the 90's that never turned out as nice as I ultimately wanted. Both basses sounded and played well but the main issue were lousy finishes that turned out like a Homer Simpson spice rack and they really ruined the outcome of each. Both got used initially but after some time each ended up collecting dust.
    Decided to redo one with a new MJT finish and customizing w/ a vintage Gretsch pickup. I'm so happy with the results I've decided to resurrect the other project as well. Started that yesterday and should be ready to play this sumer.
    [​IMG]

4. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Not yet... but the more confident I get at doing fret jobs and setups the more I feel I can cobble some of my instrument boneyard together and make functional basses.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. UK Philip

UK Philip

i am loving that matching bound thumb-rest.

nice touch.

7. ASATMAN

Thanks, but it's more a relic affect that actual binding. But that was the goal.:smug:
    [​IMG]

8. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I've only had it for about 2 years but the Conklin gt7 was mine. First thing i noticed about the one i got is it had a really nice flame maple top. It was for sale used at guitar center and i was looking for an affordable but decent 6 string as i had become a little bored with 5 strings and hadn't been progressing much as a player. I played it an fell in love with the feel of the bass. The neck profile is perfect for me. The texture of the neck feels great because i was used to wenge and Ovankol necks on my warwicks. The bass sounded good unplugged so i got it planning to mod the electronics. Eventually i had an Aguilar obp3 installed and now its my go to bass.

9. StuartV

StuartV Out of GAS!! Supporting Member

I've seen you post this a couple of times now. What IS an MJT finish? What does MJT stand for?

10. ASATMAN

Here ya go:
    http://mjtagedfinishes.com

11. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

I picked up an 80's MIK P bass cheap last year. The bass felt good and was quality buildt but never saw much playing time. Since it was chipped and beat up one night in a fit of boredom I added to the relicing.

It turned out really cool so I then attacked the neck to make it feel like a Fender road worn..which it does. I dropped in new pots, cloth wire, orange drop cap and Duncan 60's vintage antiquity's. Adding a RI vintage bridge and 57' anodized pickguard she looks and plays as good as any vintage Fender I have played and owned.

I'm quite happy with her and at this time she is all I own.

12. NecroticImbecil

NecroticImbecil

I can only manage ugly but functional, so it's just as well I have no pics. The big surprise was a Burnside(Guild) "The Lance" (Asymmetrical V) I got in a trade deal from its first owner. He had some great idea in mind when he bought it new in the Metal Age that never came to fruition. Its dismembered remains lingered in a Loch Ness Monster shaped gig bag since its tragically short life ended until a few months ago in a moldy basement.

When I got it he had removed everything except the tuners. The bridge was in the gig bag, but removed. Electronics and other hardware gone. He even removed and (ate? buried in the backyard?) all the screws, though I only noticed the tuner screws were gone when I tried to tune it after re-animating it. The huge, square pickguard he had paid "some guy" to replace the original with covered the jagged hacked up hole where the p pickup used to go. Told me he'd decided it would sound better with just the J, didn't mention he'd tried to install another pickup in place of the P. Far as I could tell from the "customization" that other pickup must have been shaped like a wiener dog with a basket on its head. The original screws long missing, he or his "expert" had tried to mount the pickups with screws that were longer than the bass thick. Guess what happened.

I wasn't going to spend any money on this. Just a junker to leave at the guitarist's house for the odd practice. I did have to buy some screws, the bridge would only tolerate a very specific and hard to find size. I was redoing a bathroom at the time, so I made a pickguard out of dingy old plastic shower surround. Had a Seymour Duncan active P-J set with the old DIP switches in my box o parts, and a nut that fit. No knobs to spare and no stereo jack, so it got a sliding on-off switch for the battery. Had a set of 6 year old used strings in my junk drawer. Threw some spare Schaller straplocks on it.

Brought it to practice.

Instantly, I hated it.

I hate it because it's one of the best sounding basses I've ever heard. I'd put it right up there with my Alembic and Tobias. Different, but in terms of quality from the tone alone you'd expect an expensive bass. Still makes me mad every time I play it. It has no right to sound this good.

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    My 76 Precision has had many "restorations" through its not-quite storied career.

14. pinz

pinz

Just had to add that nothing is lost and I'm digging the resurrected mongrel Jazz,
    But....next thing... that lovely CV neck with it's vintage frets (my fav) was lying around so it ended up on a P bass special body I also had lying around in limbo.
    I hated the neck and action on this P/J and threw it aside,until the CV neck became spare !

Gwala ! the neck went on the Red P/J body,and in went Bill Lawrence pups (replacing the QP's that didn't quite do it for me)...WOW !

[​IMG]

I am complete in my resurrection and rejuvenation and ended with 3 very giggable basses,P,J and P/J :)

But now there is a horrible neck and body looking for the same treatment...when does it end ?

15. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass Gnarsty bass tones Supporting Member

If "resurrecting" includes installing a fresh set of strings, then the answer is Yes. :ninja:

But seriously: I once hotrodded a MusicMan Stingray with a bartolini pickup I tried with a couple of non-MM preamps. It sounded fine, but once I restored the original electronics I was MUCH happier.

Awesome bass!

16. lpdeluxe

lpdeluxe Still rockin' Supporting Member

I bought my first P, a Classic '51 RI, back in '06 when I was gigging steadily with a G&L Tribute L2K. Then I got a Classic '50s P, which the band loved, and I gigged with it from then on...until I found an SR5 at a really good price, so I went with that.

Then my vocal/percussion/bass/guitar combo reunited, and everything sounded too aggressive. So on a whim, I pulled out the '51 and damn! It's perfect!

I'm not giving up the other Precisions or the StingRay any time soon, but this bright yellow beast is a gem.

[​IMG]

17. phillybass101

phillybass101

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Brubaker Guitars, Tecamp Bass Players Gear
    I have a parts bass from 1999 that is being coverted to fretless. It has been collecting dust for the past 14 yrs. Having a fretless maple/maple board lined fretless neck installed. Has a MM Bart Pup and Bart two band pre. I pick it up this Friday. I'm expecting punch and a good burp. If it sings I'll be especially happy. The neck was bought from Rondo for like $39.00. Fretless on the cheap before I determine to get a really nice one built for me. I'll post a pic after I pick it up.