1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Ever thought of buying a school bus...?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by christw, Nov 24, 2012.

1. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: J Worrell Bass
    I have! I love to travel and a converted school bus could be a killer mobile home that double as a tour bus for my bands. I know it would be a bit of a pricey endeavorer (I'm thinking ~7-15k all in) but living out of my car isn't alien or off putting to me. I'd rather just bring home with me! I also happen to have a lot of good connections with people including some of the local hippies through my work. A friend has her own bus already, a coworker of mine designs buses and homes, and I know a lot of people with a lot of talent who'd all like to get their hands on a bus project. That's not to say I don't want to do some work on it too. ;)

I've already got a pretty detailed plan laid out including budgeting after some research. I won't need a CDL as long as seating is under 16. It all really depends on if I buy an older mid mileage bus with a good service record or a newer low mileage one just out of service. I'm thinking I could probably buy an old donor camper for the stove, sink, bath, fridge, and all that good stuff. That would also allow me to title it as an RV without getting heckled for minor differences in state laws about what amenities make it an RV. Other fun ideas include having hanging bunk beds, additional locking storage boxes along the edge of the body, and a powerful inverter to really make it a home on the road.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this before? Something irrelevant?

Cool side note: I looked up the wheel chair lift specs. It looks like they're all rated for 600 pounds or more. That'd make a great motorcycle lift for a guy with a 350 lb bike. :cool:

2. Staredge

Staredge

3. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I guess I'll be the first to post this :) :

[​IMG]

Used to fantasize about that one as a kid.

4. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    OHHH!!!

Missed it by --- that ---- much.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Cool, I'd never seen that show!

7. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Ever thought of buying a school bus...?

Ever thought about only getting 6 miles to the gallon? :rollno:

8. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Yep. I would to travel with several other people at a time to offset that cost. I actually have a lot of people in my life who would be willing to and capable of affording a trip or tour. I'd certainly take a bus over a van and trailer.

9. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Not school bus, but I did buy my first 45 seater bus converted to a 8+1 seater RV at the ripe age of 19. I have sold it & bought it back for several times over the years, and just the other week it was offered to me once again.
    Unfortunately I don't have any room for it ATM :(.
    Lotsa memories on those big wheels.

I do still have a few others in various states of projects, including a 1000th chassis bus from 1960 made by one of the Finlands oldest chassis manufacturers Wiima.

A word of a warning from an addicted though.

That's a bug bite that once gotten, can-not be cured. Ever.
    Worst than any other GAS I know of.

Seek out a book by the title of "Rolling Homes" if You haven't already, and be amazed.

Regrds
    Sam

10. fraublugher

fraublugher

11. T-Bird

T-Bird

Hi.

Good for You...

So did I back in the day, or at least that's what I thought by their promises and enthusiasm before I made the purchase.

I traveled that summer alone to the swap-meets and to the festivals and such in the end.

So DO NOT COUNT ON THAT, do it for YOUr own sake.
    The world looks a hell of a lot different from up there than it does from the pavement.

Regards
    Sam

12. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    I'm looking to do it for myself to live out of, honestly. That's my #1. The rest is just bonus. ;)

I'll be perpetually stuck between home and school?

13. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

They run fine on filtered used cooking oil. Go to greasecar.com for the lowdown. You should be able to get unfettered access to restaurant waste oil after a show, basically free fuel for the cost of filters.

14. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

There is somewhat of a tinyhouse movement going on in the states. Also, there are plenty of people that convert busses into living spaces. Just doing a couple of web searches and you will find a plethera of information on the subject.

On that note, when the kids move out of the house, I plan on a cool tiny house.

15. Ripper

Ripper

Considered it, yes. However, for what I want it for (camping at races) I think either a cube truck or mini/conversion van converted for the purpose would work better than a bus.

16. smperry

smperry Moderator Supporting Member

:D

17. dieselbass

dieselbass

fryer oil will work in a Detroit engine, but not long term in anything else. Friend of mine has done three converted city buses (one a toy carrier too) kept one and sold the remainder. He packs it with family & friends for fishing trips.

check your CDL laws as I believe you'll need one if the bus has air brakes. Hydraulic brakes, no problem.

18. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

You need to find a suitable modern day Neal Cassady to drive it.

19. christw

christw Get low!

Disclosures:
    Man, I don't even remember my second post... I thought I was in bed by then!

Dieselbass, if I were to title it as a motorhome under Ohio law, I would be safe. Any vehicle titled as a motorhome does not require a CDL which can be quite scary when you see an oblivious old man driving a 60,000 lb motorhome all over the road. I could find a bus under 26,000 lb GWV, sans air brakes, limit seating to under 16, repaint it to non-yellow and be good to go without the retitle. Honestly, those requirements are not that limiting.

20. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

21. dieselbass

dieselbass

sounds good! I forgot things are different outside the state of litigation. Make it happen!