Ever wanted a GBE 750 Cheap?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JimiLL, Jan 14, 2013.

1. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

2. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

I'm surprised it's still in production. They discontinued the GBE 600 a loooong time ago. No worries though, they'll be available cheap used for a long time - the class D craze isn't going away anytime soon.
  3. ErnieD

ErnieD Supporting Member

Started with a GBE600, then got a 750. Traded it plus cash for a NeoPak head. Now, mostly use GB STM-900.

And just can't seem to move that NeoPak head out. It sits in its' little case. I bust it out every now n then when I use a Neox112T+212T for some 12's fun. :bassist:
  4. IPYF

IPYF

I wanted one of these ages ago but they were nearly 2 grand here in the stores. I totally would have loved a 1200 but they was insanely prohibitively expensive.

I recall agonizing over getting my 1001, and finally doing it, then spotting a 1200 on ebay S/H for less than I payed for the GK new not 3 days later. Literally nearly cried.

I'd totally have a 750 without hesitation. They were a great amp, if a little heavy. The 2 channel blend would have worked really well for me..
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Supporting Member

I had a GBE-1200 and it was so good it was insane. I have a Streamliner 900 now and just love it.

Genz Benz just makes great equipment!

Dan k.
  7. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

Its kinda a shame... Im really not sold on the micro thing yet. I think they have a ways to go before truly competing with Lead Sleds. If PA's had never gotten so good I dont think the micro craze would have taken off like it did. Bedroom volumes are one thing, gig volumes another
  8. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

I dunno, bro - I've owned the GBE600,NeoPak 3.5, 1001rb-II, 700rb-II, T-Max, BB750, Streamliner 600, and currently own an M-pulse 600 and Streamliner 900, besides having the use of a ShuttleMax 12.0 - IMO/IME, a good micro is a the real deal...

I have to say that with as much volume and low end as I like, I seem to need the higher wattage micros to get the same kind of "authority" that I get from a "lead sled"... For example, although rated at 600 watts, my Streamliner 600 seemed to "run out of gas" before my M-plse 600 does(also 600 watts), whereas the Streamliner 900 keeps up quite well... I know people say "a watt is a watt", but my bandmates also noticed it as well...

Still, for warm, clean, "tube sound", the Streamliner 900 is a safe bet - while the Shuttle Max 9.2 is probably the most versatile amp out there...

- georgestrings
  9. Anthbass

Anthbass

I picked a 750 up here three years ago, and I haven't really wanted another amplifier since. I know that some people feel Genz overestimated the rated power, but I've never had that problem. Besides, I like all the blue lights :bassist:
  10. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

I recently picked up an Ampeg SVP PRO pre amp, found one for a great deal and decided to test out the waters.

I A/B'd the Pre Amp through the power section on the genz and then played through just the genz, and I was suprised how much better the Genz really sounded. I was expecting some lower, thicker tones out of the ampeg, but they just were not there unless you would scoop the mids out. With all eq cuts and boosts being as equal as possible, the genz really walked away from the ampeg
  11. Grey Sarcasm

Grey Sarcasm

I scored a GBE750 for $325 with one of the rack ears slightly blemished. Talk about a sweet deal. I love it. The weight isn't too much of a problem. The sound, in my opinion, is pretty sweet. Everything Genz makes is top notch.
  12. ezstep

ezstep

I bought a GBE600 a while back, and later bought a Shuttle 6.0. Still, I couldn't get rid of the GBE600 - it's a keeper. Great sound, loud sound, very dependable. What's not to love?
  13. JimiLL

JimiLL Supporting Member

The micro units labeled as 600 and 900 watts are supposedly much lower in actuality. I read that Aguilar uses the same power modules in their micros, and they only rate them at 350 and 500 watts.

Still, I think all else equal, a lead sled is much happier being pushed to the same levels. a 500 watt lead sled will be happier at 75% load then a 500 watt micro at 75% load
  14. IPYF

IPYF

I don't know if this is appropriate or not (rules and all). I hope not to get into trouble for posting this, but I just spotted a GBE750 going for an utterly stupid price (for here I mean). I got offered one by a friend for a good price and I went looking for some comparison; the one I just spotted on the leading internet selling things website (don't forget the .au) is going for about $350 cheaper than the one my friend offered me. I've never seen one go for such a low price in Australia.

I had to totally subdue my GAS in the end because there's nothing wrong with my GK and I just need to keep my flipping sh*t together and stop buying things.

I've got no affiliation with the seller in this instance at all. I just figured one of my local TBers might like to get their hands on this. I'm surprised at that price it wasn't gone within 30mins of the ad going up. Should be fairly easy for you all to figure out where to look.
  15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Totally agreed. I notice it as well on every micro I've owned or played. Fortunately, I can get away with practice amps on my gigs so big wattage isn't of any concern to me, but I'd definitely overbuy wattage with a micro if being loud and staying clean is important to you.