Ever wish you only had one bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by punkjazzben, Jan 26, 2014.

1. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

I often stress and agonise over which of my basses to take to a gig or rehearsal.

Nine times out of ten, I end up with my Yamaha RBX270J. But I persist; I bring my P Bass to the rehearsal, or I plan on using the fretless. Or whatever. But when it comes to gig-time, it is always the Yammie that sounds best and I feel most comfortable with (and it's the cheapest bass I've owned). I think "Oh, I'll use the Fender/Epiphone/fretless/whatever this time around", and work myself up to it, but when it comes to crunch time, I feel safer with the Yammie. It sounds and feels the best to me.

Sometimes I wish I didn't have as many basses as I do (and I don't even have that many), and that I didn't always go through the motions of choosing which bass to take, when it will inevitably end up being the Yamaha.

Does anyone else feel the same? I.e., do you agonise over which bass to take when you secretly know there's one bass that will always get the job done?
  2. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

No, I don't. It sounds like the Yamaha is your favorite. Ever think about trading in your others on another Yamaha, then stringing in it with different strings like flatwounds?
  3. Doctor J

Doctor J

I don't see multiple basses as a burden, nor something one should feel guilt over. I like all my basses for different reasons and get enjoyment out of them regardless of which one I pick up. I try to enjoy life rather than look for things to worry about. It's a one lap race.
  4. solderjunkie

solderjunkie

You're lucky... it sounds like the Yamaha is your "number one" bass. Some players never find that one instrument that suits them perfectly. All you really need is another one similar to it in case of equipment failure.

Last Fall I sold all but one bass, and all but one rig. I really wanted to concentrate on playing, instead of constantly tinkering and trying different instruments/effects/rigs. I kept my Stingray SR5, Genz SR900, Mesa PH112, and 115 extension cab:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. punkjazzben

punkjazzben Supporting Member

Yeah. I guess this is more about having 'the one' bass and trying to to justify the rest of the herd.
  7. Thick McRunfast

Thick McRunfast Not just good, good enough Supporting Member

I only own one bass but I'm not gigging. If I was I'd probably own two more. One like my primary as a back up and something wildly different.

But I'm not on a quest to find "The One".

The one I have is just fine. Not perfect but good. And to quote some famous philosopher - "It's not just good, it's good enough."
  8. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

Ever wish you only had one bass?

My answer is YES! Sadly, I am materialistic and must have many basses!
  9. msact

msact Gold Supporting Member

Every day I wish I had only one more bass.
  10. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I bring an MIA Jazz and an MIA Precision to every gig.
  11. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

I have 10 basses ready to go and am looking for another 5er (whole not in the same vein as having 1 I'd like to pare down to 8). I never agonize over which bass to play, I just grab whatever suits my mood.
  12. Clouz

Clouz The Ayatollah of Jack and Cola Supporting Member

13. MrTaff

MrTaff

I used to, now I'm down to one bass, I want more again.
  14. 10cc

10cc

Yep just not ONE of mine. Still in lust mode
  15. Monster Truck

Monster Truck Supporting Member

I know exactly what you mean, and I have even started a couple of threads about it. I own 8 basses, and I get so sick of comparing tones and playability. I'm want to get down to 2 or 3, probably a Fernandes and MIJ Squier, but I have a few more basses that are going to be hard to let go.
  16. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I like having just 3 inexpensive basses, but I'd gladly take that P bass off your hands. :bag:
  17. Trayster2

Trayster2 Supporting Member

I did this & LOVED the results!
  18. Dredmahawkus

Dredmahawkus Supporting Member

Its way too much fun buying and selling! the more you do the less attached you get.
  19. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59

I'm a guitarist 1st and a bass player 2nd. I got into basses when I started REALLY started looking for basses at pawnshops.My search started when I needed a good bass for recording. That year in 2008 I found my '74 Jazz in a pawnshop. I've since acquired 2 -'79 P-Bass, '78 P-Bass ,'89 "Boner" Jazz, '95 50th Ann. Deluxe P-Bass, and a '90 MIJ '57 RI P-Bass, and all were bought in pawnshops except the '78 Walnut which I bought privately. I paid less than $2000 for all these 7 basses,and though I didn't NEED them, I'd have been an idiot to pass up on such crazy cheap prices. I don't think as long as they're giving away basses in my part of the country that I'll EVER only have one. I'll actually only keep wanting MORE. ;)
  20. kcole4001

kcole4001

I have basses that never see a gig, and some that don't even get to a practice.
    But still, if I ever want 'em they're there to chose from.

It's nice to change up once in a while.

If you have a clear preference, be happy about knowing what you like.
    Judging from what I read here on TB, you're in a very small minority.
    Just because seemingly everyone here says 'you need a P bass' doesn't mean it's the perfect fit for your current gig.

Just enjoy your Yamaha.
  21. brianerwin

brianerwin

It's been a while since I added to the forum here but this one seems to be a good spot to add my 2 cents.
    I actually only have one bass right now. It is the Ibanez SR505 BM. I really like this bass as it seems as if I can do all I want to with it, but I am kind of on the fence where multiple basses could be more of an asset rather than a dilemma.
    You see since I purchased a 5 string right out of the starting gate, I sometimes if this wasn't in error because so many of the songs just don't have a need for the extra low B string.
    It comes in handy sometimes though when the finger pattern just works better with the 5th string.
    I have a wish list though. I would like an Ibanez SR5000E 4 string, The BTB675, and Fretless SR370F or SR375F Either one would be fine.
    But like I said, I am on the fence with having one or more basses. Sometimes I think when gigging, it's best to travel as light as possible and bringing one bass and the extra heavy amps and equipment might just be the best decision. Pick the one that sounds the best and you are golden. Make sure you have the extra strings just in case and a few tools to fix unexpected mishaps seems reasonable.