Ever wished you had never read a book??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TexasGopher, Mar 19, 2014.

1. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

I hate it when I read a book, in the most recent case, The Allman Brothers "One Way Out" and it kills my love for them. Same thing happened when I read Clapton's autobiography. The opposite can also happen. The more I learn about Rush, the more I respect them and love their music. Do you have an example (either way)???
  2. thenazz

thenazz

One of the most enjoyable musician autobiographys I've read was Andy Summers' "One Train Later", also liked Greg Allmans' "My Cross to Bear". By far the worst was Pete Townsends "Who I Am". He really comes across as a pompous ass.
  3. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

4. TexasGopher

TexasGopher

I have read both books you referred to and I agree with you on both accounts. I really enjoyed "One Train Later."
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Tampabass

Tampabass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    not a rocket scientist, but I play one on TV
    Yeah, I know what you mean -- as much as I loved Pete Townshend and the whole story/idea of the Who, when I read "Who I Am" I -- or part of it, as I couldn't bear to read the whole thing -- I was really saddened to understand how poorly he treated his loved ones.
    Seems like he never learned anything from his experiences -- just kept repeating his personal-life mistakes. For a book that offers much more insight on how the Who came to be and an inside view of their music, I'd recommend the classic rock bio "The Kids Are Alright," by Dave Marsh.

Had sort of the same experience regarding John Lennon -- according to all I've read, he really mistreated Cynthia and practically abandoned Julian.

At the same time, I have to say I don't think any less of their creative work.
  7. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Supporting Member

Yeah, the Clapton book made me want to smack him. It seems Eric is much more interested in fashion than music. Sad.
  8. dalkowski

dalkowski

My wife gave me "Who I Am" for Xmas. I found the first half or so un-put-down-able, but after his "Quadrophenia" stories, it really became a hard slog and I couldn't wait to finish it. Come to think of it, that's how I approach the Who's music as well.

Right now I'm tearing through Kent Hartman's "The Wrecking Crew," about Carol Kaye, Glen Campbell, Hal Blaine and all the studio cats who played on every record cut in LA in the 60s. It's light stuff, nothing sordid, and I'm sure lacking in some details. But I think it's a terrific and fun look into the hit-making machinery of the time and some of the personalities behind the music. Recommended.
  9. HolmeBass

HolmeBass Supporting Member

Media:
    Separate the art from the artist. True artists are compelled to create things, and those things exist apart from their creators.

Which is a good thing, because Hitler actually had some pretty good paintings! (Ba-dum tish!) Just kidding, couldn't resist the bad joke, but I believe my first statement to be a useful framework. Lot's of great artists are very egotistical.
  10. dalkowski

dalkowski

Corollary: Show me a musician with a memoir for sale and I'll show you a line of creditors at his/her door.
  11. jazzonlyjazz

jazzonlyjazz

I was reading a spy novel when the protagonist, Sam Fisher, got laid.

Yeah I never saw Splinter Cell the dame way again.
  12. mellowinman

mellowinman Perfect for Breaking the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I never could judge John Lennon too harshly. He was a very flawed human, and he would've been the first to tell you so.
  13. electracoyote

electracoyote

Yeah, a "tell-all" can tarnish the glow a bit.

But I was inspired by Clapton's humility in his book. He was very confessional and humble, and it only increased my respect and admiration for him.

And the Rush guys, heh heh, you're probably never going to get any dirt on those nerds that will change your impression of them. However, I find their recent candor refreshing and fun and, again, it only increases my respect for them.
  14. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

However, a biography of Louis Armstrong made me love the man even more. Some great artists are also pretty great people. You don't have to be an a-hole to succeed.
  15. Locky66

Locky66

It wasn't a book but a documentary I seen on Led Zeppelin when I found out Jimmy Page was a pedophile.
  16. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

'Satchmo Says: Keep It All Behind You"

I had the same experience. Not sure if we read the same biography, but I just love Louis Armstrong.

The next one I'd like to read is the Miles autobiography. That's probably going to be a very different experience.
  17. jeffbonny

jeffbonny _____________ Gold Supporting Member

[DEL]slight[/DEL] total derail talking about books I like: If you dig jazz biographies you might keep an eye out for Bill Evans: How My Heart Sings. And Jazz Anecdotes: Second Time Around by bassist Bill Crow is well worth owning and leaving on the back of the toilet.
  18. pkstone

pkstone Supporting Member

Miles' autobiography is totally entertaining, and I came away thinking that the guy may not have been very easy to get along with, but he had integrity up to his eyebrows. Just be prepared to call everything a "m-f-er" for a while after reading it!
  19. Marial

Marial Proud Papa Supporting Member

Right on, thanks!
  20. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Banned

Best autobiography on earth? "Beneath the underdog" by Charles mingus.
    Worst?
    "Brother Ray".
    Did he really have to brag about all his female conquests?
  21. stratovani

stratovani

Taking a slight detour from the world of music to the world of sports, I recently read the book "Orr - My Life", Bobby Orr's autobiography. for those of you unfamiliar with Bobby Orr, he was a hockey defenseman who played for the Boston Bruins from 1966 to 1977. Generally acknowledged as the greatest defenseman to ever play the game, and one of the greatest players ever, the book is all about his upbringing, his hockey career, his near bankruptcy at the hands of his dishonest agent Alan Eagleson, and his life post-hockey. It also has his observations about the state of the game and life in general. It's a great book, well worth reading. Bobby Orr is a true gentleman, a superstar of hockey who is an even greater superstar at life. A very kind, humble, giving man with a heart of gold, and knees of titanium. ;)

OK, back to music. I just had to get this in.