Everlasting Love--16ths?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Luckydog, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Luckydog

Luckydog Supporting Member

Listening to Carl Carlton's Everlasting Love. The bass drives the whole tune IMO. Am I hearing correctly that the bassline is 16th notes played steadily throughout almost the entire tune? If so, thats a real workout! Does anyone know who played on the original?

2. nysbob

nysbob

That was a huge hit and still gets a lot of love on the oldies stations.

One of the producers (Papa Don Schroeder) on that track was interested enough in my band back in the '70s (the Raisins) that he had us over for dinner one night in Pensacola. He was nice guy with a hell of a track record, but we were a little too scattered for what he had in mind.

3. Luckydog

The version I am referring to has a percolating 16th note bass line throughout. Dont know who sang it.

4. Luckydog

Ahh, Tommy Cogbill. Wonder if that was picked or fingers.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. nysbob

nysbob

On the Carlton version, there's so much stuff crammed into that track it's hard to tell what exactly is going on. I vaguely remember the original Robert Knight version (just checked it out), but the re-do was the monster hit.

Tommy Cogbill was another one of those great studio cats that made the hits happen, but few people knew about....and he certainly didn't shy away from playing 16ths!

7. Mushroo

Mushroo

Holy carp, he produced "Sweet Caroline"!!!!!!!