"Everyday People".....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ZenG, Feb 21, 2014.

1. ZenG

ZenG

Does this song by Sly & The Family Stone hold the world record for a pop song with the least number of actual note changes played by a bassist?

Always liked the song....but I think he hits that same note through the entire song........

Now that I think about it I can't recall another song that does this........and sound so good.....
  2. JimK

JimK

It's not the amount of note(s)…it's how the note(s) is played.

The Beatles' "Tomorrow Never Knows" has a minimum of Bass notes.
  3. ZenG

ZenG

Yes....I get that "how" the notes are played is important...thank you very much.

I just can't recall any songs that rely on one note all the way through and still the song actually sounds quite varied in content.
  4. JimK

JimK

It's cool …check out The Turtles' "Me About You".
    IIRC, bassist Jim Pons plays "1" continuous note.
  5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Yep, it's reeeeeaaal steady.:D Which is particular funny since it's Larry Graham on the bass. One of my old bands covered this (one of the few covers we did) and I changed the line up, throwing in a good bit of slapping like latter-day Larry might (though I will never have 1/10th of his skills).
  6. Freekmagnet

Freekmagnet

Although it is an amazingly executed single-note groove, I think that Larry Graham adds a tasty fuzz bass lick or two in the overdubs. I haven't listened to that track in a while, so I may be wrong about that.
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

About 15 or 20 years ago I played in an 8-piece horn-loaded funk band that did a ton of old school R&B/funk/soul covers. At my initial audition the first tune they called was Sly's "Everyday People". After I got the gig the bandleader admitted to me "We did that on purpose; you'd be amazed at how many bassists couldn't get past that first number with us."
  8. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive Supporting Member

Media:
    It makes the bassline to "Some Kind of Wonderful" look practically proggy in contrast.
  9. ZenG

ZenG

Larry Graham rocks.........