EVM 15-L Series-II

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Count Bassie, May 31, 2011.

1. Count Bassie

Count Bassie Supporting Member

I understand this is a 200w, 8 ohm speaker. It can be reconed, I also understand, to be a 400w speaker, since the recone kits are 400w...

Now, what is the difference between the Pro-Line EVs and the Series-II? Is my info thus far correct? I ask because I'm looking at an old EAW single-15 cab loaded with EVM 15-L Series-II...

But- I could also get it with a JBL 2205H, 300w @ 8 ohms. Opinions? Corrections?

Thanks!
  2. lhoward

lhoward Gold Supporting Member

First off, all three of these drivers seem to be designed for guitar applications. The EV's state so in their product sheets and the JBL has no available spec sheet that I can find, but their sheet of Thiele parameters lists the 2205H with an xmax of 2.54 mm and which I consider inadequate for a bass driver and which will be excursion limited and the bottom octave will probably overdrive the 2205H.

About the difference between the EVM-15L Series II and the EVM-15L Pro Line, I don't think there's really any difference. The spec sheets for each driver list identical Thiele parameters and if I recall accurately, I think the re-designation of the Series II to Pro Line was probably a marketing move more than anything else. The xmax for these drivers is 3.3 mm. My opinion is that I wouldn't use them for live applications on gigs. That said, I have a JBL D-130 with a similar xmax of 3.3 mm, but I use it strictly for practice. Its sounds good at low volumes, but again its excursion limited and perhaps thermally limited compared to modern drivers available today. If you really want an EV or JBL driver of that vintage, I'd recommend either a JBL E-140 or E-145, or an EV EVM-15B which are meant for bass. Of course, finding any of these drivers with intact, original cones/surrounds can be problematic. I'd be suspicious of someone promoting a recone that increases power handling as you've stated. Those after market kits may or may not be as good as the original EV moving assembly.

Of course the other, more important consideration is that max power handling is usually the failure point for the driver and although it may increase power handing to 400 watts, are those watts RMS, peak or some other marketers promotional design? And remember, 200 to 400 watts RMS sounds like a large increase, but its only 3dB greater output which barely perceptible to the average human ear. To be twice as loud to your ear, it would have to be on the order of 10dB increase which equates to 10 times the power input.

I hope this helps, although a little long.

Lloyd Howard
  3. dave2

dave2

I believe have an old EV EVM-15B speaker that I pulled from a small 1-15 cabinet that I sold empty. This cabinet was used very little back in the mid 80s and then I quit playing music completely.
    The cab has been stored for years. I recently pulled the speaker to use in a friend's Yamaha monitor but he didn't use it - he replaced the old speaker under warranty. I then sold the cab. Send me a PM if you are interested in it.

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    John K Custom Basses
    funny, i like EV 15L's ALOT better for bass than EV15B's, but my all time favorite 15 is a JBL K140 (alnico magnet). their E series (ceramic magnet) sounds a little hard/harsh to me.
  5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Xmax is the same for all EVM 15 versions, and limits them all to only 100 watts usable power through the bass region.
  6. jastacey

jastacey Supporting Member

The EVm - 15L was used in the Mesa 2x15 cabinet .... I recently had a EVM 15B reconed and it was done with the 400 watt voice coil, it still farts out when pushed hard, I believe the X-max is one of the limiting factors .... but for small clubs, it's a nice sounding speaker in a TL-606 cabinet
  7. steve_rolfeca

steve_rolfeca Gold Supporting Member

EV used a unique rating system for those drivers. When they rated one for 100 watts, that meant 100 watts for 24 hours continuous, using a 400 hz input signal, at X% THD. Everybody else was using 1000Hz tones or pulses, and testing pretty much to destruction. That's why they put comparable speakers of the time on the trailer, at least in terms of power handling.

The only difference between the L and B versions was the paper. The L had a lighter cone, in order to provide better midrange response. You could switch your driver from an L to a B (and back) during reconing, just by asking the tech to use the corresponding kit.

Don't ask me how I know so much about blowing up EV 15's... :crying:
  8. Count Bassie

I tend to push lows- I'm sort of known in my neighborhood for doing that, and for not using mids with much emphasis. I've tweaked this somewhat over recent years and am finally "getting it" about cutting through a mix with less volume knob! But last time I had a Joe's 1x15 cab with an EV-L in it, I was bottoming it out and had to swap it out for another speaker before I ruined it- can't remember what it was now though.
  9. lhoward

lhoward Gold Supporting Member

Agreed on the xmax. WRT to the power handling, 100 watts is probably a better choice considering the greater amount of low frequency content in today's music requirements than what was 30 years ago. But if one realizes that EV used a different standard for determining power handling, one that they believed more accurately represented the 'real world' of that period, which was the EIA 426A standard and had less low frequency content, then EV's assessment of power handling is valid for that time. EV's spec sheets based on the 426A standard list 100 watts for the EVM-15L/15B; 200 watts for the EVM-15L/15B Series II; and 400 watts for the EVM-15L/15B Proline.
    (Source: http://telexlegacy.com/archives/EV/Speakers/EDS/ )

That could be why steve_rolfeca may have had some bad experiences with EVM speakers.

Although I like the sound of some of the legacy drivers, mostly EVM and JBL D,K and E series, they really can't compare to handling the abuse drivers have to endure today. I presently have a D130, D140, E140 and 2 - E145s, which are all original - no recones. There are others I sold in years past but now wish I hadn't. But if someone likes them, just use them with TLC and proper loading from a well designed cab.

Thanks for the reply Bill.

Lloyd Howard
  10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    EV's power handling spec was with pink noise, and only told how much pink noise could be handled for how long before the voice coil melted. That's not all that much different from how all drivers are rated today, and it's always has been moot where electric bass is concerned. The 400 watt coils could take more abuse, but the drivers equipped with them would not go one dB louder than those with 300 watt or 200 watt coils. The useful displacement limited power of 100 watts for the EVs, and JBLs and Altecs of the same era, was fine back then because we mainly used at the most 200 watt amps.
  11. Count Bassie

I've hauled off and ordered an Eminence Kappalite 3015. We shall see... Oh, and the port width is 2 x 4 1/2"... anyone happen to know where to find a piece of 4 1/2" pipe, as in ABS or PVC?

And thanks everyone, for the interest and help!
  12. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

This is funny. All of these speaker experts coming along saying the EVM 15L is not a good bass speaker, yet Mesa, GK, along with many other manufacturers used them with great success for years. I personally used the Mesa and GK with the 15L and they were both great cabs. I even tried the EVM 15B in both and guess what, the 15L SOUNDS BETTER!! That's probably why you see more 15L's in factory bass cabs than the 15B. As far as choosing between a 15L or a E140, depends on the cab. They are both great speakers, but I found the cab makes a huge difference on which would sound better.
  13. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    On the contrary, the EV is a great bass speaker, provided you don't feed it with more than 100 watts, you don't need deep lows, and you don't mind lugging its 21 pounds. If those limitations don't bother you then by all means, use it. If they do there are other options.
    BTW, I ran an EV from the mid 80s to about ten years ago, when it was rendered obsolete by those other options. It's been hanging on the wall of my workshop ever since.
  14. Count Bassie

Me using only 1 cab, at least for now, and it being a 15, I got a speaker that was kind of 'DeLuxe', for handling low bass and getting the most out of the amp. If I'd had a 215, I'd have gone with the pair of EV 15Ls on craigslist, for the same $ as I spent on the Kappalite 3015... that had been pulled from a 215 cab...
  15. Count Bassie

Is there a FAQ on this, or in a few words how does one 'break in" a new speaker? I'm expecting a Kappalite 3015 to come in the mail by the end of the week, and will be hot to get that puppy into this old cab and go make some awful noise with it. I just want the awful noise to be because of me, not the speaker. [​IMG]

And yeah, I'll have to doctor up those ports I suppose.

Thanks!
  16. KramerDon

KramerDon

I used 2X EVM 15Ls with an Acoustic 370(way more than 200W)at hi-volumes for over 10 yrs in the 70's-80's and never had a problem. I've still got them and am in the process of building a smaller single 15" cabinet for one of them for more portability.I've always sworn by EV's.
  17. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice

Disclosures:
    I used EVs as well back in the day, but when a single 10 pound Eminence 3015 has the same output capability as two 21 pound EVs it's time to move on.
  18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

I still own and use my Mesa 2x15 and 1516 cabs made in 1986 and 1988, although I'm just now starting to retire them to only rehersal use as I bought a new Mesa cab 3 months ago.
    The 215 still has it's original 15L's, and the 1516 15L just finally let go last fall. I use the matching Mesa 400 head which is, yes, is well more than 100w. And this was all those years of detuned 5-strings and 4-strings, they held up very well...over 20 years doing heavy rock and metal.
    I loved using these 15's in multiples, the biting and hard hitting mids from them are just so great sounding, and to me difficult to find in modern 15's.
  19. Alex1984

Alex1984

Agreed. I've used the RR215 with the 400+ head. Great combination.

I still swear by my EVs, both the 10s in my EV cabs, and the 15s in my 215. (Not to mention their classic PA stuff)
  20. jmpiwonka

jmpiwonka Supporting Member

i've found if you keep the bass knob flat or a little down the 15Ls will take a good amount of power.
    i only play a four string though...
    and i think the mesa cabinet might accentuate the low end just a bit.

they are the driver i like best so far.