Excellent appraisal of the Beatles musical influence

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by dougjwray, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dougjwray

dougjwray

I'd recommend this to anyone who wonders "what's the big deal?" and is sincerely looking for an answer.
    It's done by a classical composer who knows his stuff, and it includes some very vivid and entertaining explanations of such things as Western voice leading, harmonization and modulation.
    Highly recommended.

2. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sent the link home so I can watch it later. Sounds interesting.

3. esa372

esa372

Outstanding!

This should help "those who don't know" understand what the fuss is all about. It's not a complete analysis, but it sure hits the right points.

Thanks for sharing it.

4. robass

robass

Thanks for the link, part of a great series

Another really cool Beatles-related sight I just got hip to is Alan W. Pollack's Notes On... series. He goes thru EVERY Beatles song and breaks them down from a theory point of view, but he doesn't get too dry or technical, and interjects some wit and personal observations

http://www.icce.rug.nl/~soundscapes/DATABASES/AWP/awp-notes_on.shtml

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. davidgoldman

davidgoldman

Thanks, all I can say is WOW!! I had no idea this was the case. I have heard interviews with John saying he didn't know what he was playing, only what he liked. That seems not to be the case.

7. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Some people just don't get or don't want to get it. They forever changed the world of music and quite frankly, even though it wasn't part of my generation, I'm grateful to have lived within the time it did happen. Being as heavily influenced as I am by the Beatles this is a major treat, thanks!

8. dougjwray

dougjwray

+1
    I love Pollack's series, and I think I might even have shared that same link on TB a while back.

9. dougjwray

dougjwray

Well, yes and no. The Beatles had no formal training, so they didn't know know the terms "plagal cadence" or "Dorian mode." But, as the host of this show points out, their ears and their instincts were fabulous.
    I think a lot of John's most beautiful and unusual chord sequences (for example, "Julia" or "If I Fell") were the result of him wiggling his fingers around on the guitar and finding new things. McCartney was a bit more methodical, I believe.