1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Excercise sticky

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Pacman, Aug 12, 2007.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings
    A member has suggested a thread posting your favorite technique excercises. So here it is with the first post from Deacon Blues:

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Thanks Pacman. I hope this thread will be useful for anyone that needs to improve their technique.

Concerning the left (or fretting) hand technique, I've suggested the spider exercise a number of times. It's good for practicing the one finger per fret technique and the overall left hand coordination, as you use all fingers in the exercise.

Code:
    The spider:

G: -----7-----8-----5-----6--  (Repeat x times)
    D: --5-----6-----7-----8----- 
    A: -------------------------- 
    E: -------------------------- 
         I  R  M  P  R  I  P  M

-----7-----8-----5-----6--
    --------------------------
    --5-----6-----7-----8-----

-----7-----8-----5-----6-- 
    --5-----6-----7-----8----- 
    Focus on learning the first line properly (on the D and G strings, only one tabbed out fully) before trying the other two incorporating string skipping, as they're harder and require a longer stretch.

Here's a variation of the spider that I've come up with as a complement. In this, all intervals you play are different:

Code:
    Altered spider:

G: ------8-----7-----5-----6--- (repeat)
    D: ---5-----6-----8-----7------
    A: ----------------------------
    E: ----------------------------
          I  P  M  R  P  I  R  M

You get the rest of that I think... :)

Then I have a good warm-up exercise too:

Code:

-1-------------4-5-------------2-3-------------6-7-------------4-5-------
    ---2---------3-----4---------3-----4---------5-----6---------5-----6-----
    -----3-----2---------3-----4---------5-----4---------5-----6---------7---
    -------4-1-------------2-5-------------6-3-------------4-7-------------8-ect....

I M R P I M R P P R M I P R M I I M R P etc.
    (Left hand fingering: I=Index, M=Middle, R=Ring, P=Pinky)
    Feel free to post more exercises in this thread. I wouldn't mind learning some new ones either. ;)

Warning: Be careful and listen to your body when practicing the spider exercise. Don't stretch too much if you feel you can't do it, as it may be hazardous. Develop the flexibility slowly. You don't learn to do a split in one day either, right?
  3. Gyoon

Gyoon

This exercise is called "4-3-2-1". Just a handy little warmup for your picking hand:

Keep strict alternation, wether you're using your two fingers on your right nand or using a pick. Start with a downstroke on the low E and pick it 4 times. Then switch to the A string, then D, then G. Go from G back to E.

That would be:

E: dudu A: dudu D: dudu G: dudu
    G: dudu D: dudu A: dudu E: dudu

Then do three picks for each string:

E: dud A: udu D: dud G: udu
    G: dud D: udu A: dud E: udu

Notice for this one that you are constantly attacking the next string with the opposite direction as the previous string?

Then do two, then do just one. Do the whole thing over again starting on the up stroke.

Glenn
  4. magnusdeus123

magnusdeus123

This is the most helpfull exercise I've seen as far as developing stretch , agility and dexterity .

Playing Melodic Metal
  5. ThatGermanDude

ThatGermanDude

what i sometimes do as a warm up is:

play the pattern (fretting hand) 1-2-3-4 / 1-2-4-3 / 1-3-2-4 / 1-3-4-2/ 1-4-2-3 / 1-4-3-2 on every string
  6. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

7. fredo

fredo

There is a minor 3rd exercise I like to do in warm-ups:

G----------------------------------5---8--
    D--------------------------4---7----------
    A------------------3---6------------------
    E----------2---5--------------------------
    B--1---4----------------------------------

G--8---5-----------------------------------
    D-----------7---4--------------------------
    A-------------------6---3------------------
    E---------------------------5---2----------
    B-----------------------------------4---1--

Work on these up and down using your index finger and pinky... OUCH!
  8. shanmag

shanmag

wow this advice is excellent and i'll defentely use many of these exercises in my practice routine!

thanks everybody
  9. PSPookie

PSPookie

10. grommit

grommit

Heres one i play around with to practice fretting notes properly and quickly.

Code:
    G|1---
    D|-3--
    A|--1-
    E|---3

Just rake the strings down from the g, and increase speed as you repeat it.
    Do not just hold down those frets, you have to move, like; index, ring, index, ring.
    Just like sweep picking on guitar.

Mess around with different combinations,
    I-M
    I-R
    I-P
    M-R
    M-P
    R-P
  11. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

I found this post in the General Instruction forum. It would be great if everyone could post the exercises you write down here too, so they're easy to find and link to whenever needed.
  12. mikeypbass

mikeypbass

Play Ornithology by Bird once through, that'll get all you fingers workin, position changes, and swingin it up, i always play this once a day at least
  13. sir juice

sir juice

This is what I've done to initially to develop exact timing is to work with syncopated parts.

Put them into a MIDI notation programm such as Sibelius or Guitarpro. The part is irrelivent, to start with, use something slightly Syncopated, for instance: Watermelon Man by Herbie Hancock. Slow down the part to about 30 or 40 BPM. Don't use a metronome, but loop the part. And try and play along exactly. Don't speed up until you can consistantly get it exactly on.

Then once you've got this up to a reasonable speed COMPLETELY EXACTLY on time. Then work with a harder part. Serious syncopation, 62nd note divisions, not busy sounding, a lot of space is needed to make this work. But very exact time.

It's suprising how much faster you get from this, as you can play fast things spot on.
  14. enigma007

enigma007

Thanks for posting this, I had found something similiar to this but not quite as straightforward as what you've posted.

Thanks,
    Enigma Valdez

15. 69nites

69nites

well my contribution to this thread will be that I don't continue with an exercise after it becomes easy. After they are no longer difficult they have lost their value to me.

I like to take different fingering patterns that I'm having difficulty with and play around with them playing the descending, ascending, invert them, ect. It really opens your fingers up to some awkward playing and opens your mind up to some different sounds as opposed to doing the same old exercise you've been doing since week one of playing.

It's always nice to revisit what you haven't done in a long time tho to verify you still can.
  16. ateyercheese

ateyercheese

One of my favs is
    E1234 A1234 D1234 G1234
    G1234 D1234 A1234 E1234,
    E2341 A2341 D2341 G2341, etc,
    then on to 3412 up and down the strings followed by 4123, 1432, 2143, 3214, 4321, 1423, 2314, 4132, 3241. Starting slow, speeding up and add some expression!

Can be in any position.
  17. Beast

Beast

From my Technical Death Metal thread.

"Alright, just finished going through a bunch of exercises, and this is pretty much what I did.

Major scale+all modes through two octaves and to a metronome. Double up each note if your working for speed. Don't double if your just working for finger gymnastics. Go through in 3rds, 4ths, 5ths, 6ths, 7ths, and octaves.

Here are the other scales that I do with those exercises: Whole-tone Diminished, Harmonic Minor, Hungarian Minor, Pentatonics, Blues scales

Do chromatic runs up and down fretboard, starting at different points, be sure to do a few past the 12th fret as well, learn to use your top note too.

Do triads/arpeggios to metronome. Majors, Minors, Sus's, Dims, Augs, all of them that you can create, be sure to establish a relationship between the intervals of each arpeggio, and your ear, so you'll notice these patterns in music.

Put a metronome to 16th notes, use all four fingers on your picking hand, and try to match every note, if four fingers really does not work for you, three will most likely work.

Slapping: Practice 16th note patterns thumbing, just like what you would be doing with your 4 (3) fingers. Do the same with plucking, and then do it alternating, slap pluck slap pluck. Do some of the scale exercises with thumbing/plucking.

Tapping: Do the scale exercises below the 12th fret with your left hand just hammering on. Then do them above the 12th fret with your right hand. Pick up some piano sheet music and play it.

Some very nice songs to check out in case you need a good workout as well.

Sacrifice Unto Sebek- Nile
    Frantic Disembowelment- Cannibal Corpse
    Reduced to Slavery- Dying Fetus
    Eagle Nature- Cynic
    Only Ash Remains- Necrophagist
    Execration Text- Nile
    Master of Puppets- Metallica
    Aces High- Iron Maiden

Enjoy!"
  18. Chebass88

Chebass88 Supporting Member

The Dennis Sandole Guitar method works incredibly well for exercises (yes, on bass). A lot of it is the varied fingerings on each string (1423, 1324, etc.), which when played up and down the neck, can be quite daunting. I am not sure whether it is still in print - my copy is from the 70s.

It REALLY helps when it comes to sight reading, stamina, and learning the fingerboard (for me it did!)
  19. Bass45

Bass45

This technique is also good for developing strength and stamina. I just learned this a few days ago and while I found it easy to do, my left forearm became quickly tired. It must use different muscles. I've decided to do this on a regular basis to build stamina.
  20. knuf

knuf

A triller exercise for your left hand (or right hand for leftys ;-) )
    strength (very good for 6-or-more-String players!):

Start on your highest string (g or c) and do trillers in these different combinations for about 1 minute (each combination!):

1. Index, middle
    2. index, ring
    3. index, pinky
    4. middle, ring
    5. middle, pinky
    6. ring, pinky

a little "add-on" to this exercise is doing these trillers with 3 fingers:
    ie you use index, middle and pinky, it'd be this order:
    8p5 6p5 6p5 8p5 and so on.. (as a tab)

Hope you know what i mean :D
    I like this exercise, you'll notice, if you do this one every day, that you hand's strength gets better and better!

knuf :p