1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Exercises for the pinkey need help

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by jam -1, Nov 28, 2013.

1. jam -1

jam -1

Hi Guys

Im needing some help-advice I have been playing along time self taught Im haveing a problem not useing my pinkey I know this is a bad habiet I have is there any exercises that I can do to build up so I start useing my pinkey I play a Fender jazz with a slim neck also for a guy I have small hands so plz guys if you can shine some light on this for me I would be very greatfull Im dissapointed in my self for not learning to use it along time ago so im asking for your help:help:

Thank you Guys
    Jeff

2. aerodyne1989

aerodyne1989

Get on eBay and buy yourself a gripmaster. They're great for dexterity and overall keeping all your hand wrist and finger muscles in shape. Helped me a ton and they're only like ten bucks

3. klokker

klokker

bar two strings with your first finger and do hammer on/ pull offs up 3 frets with your pinky back and forth between strings. Work on some shredding exercises using your pinky. Make up exercises using just your 4th and 5th fingers, then 3rd and 5th, etc. walking back and forth between frets. Learn all your scales and arpeggios on the first 5 frets. Just keep using the dang thing.

Keep your wrist relaxed etc. Play slowly and precisely.

4. fearceol

fearceol

OP, dont waste your money on these gadgets. They have no use where bass playing in concerned as they develop grip. The first thing a teacher will tell a student is to play with the hands relaxed. This is impossible when you grip. Besides, you only need minimal strength to fret a string. This strength is naturnally there from a very young age, so developing grip is not required.

A far better idea is to try fellow TB'er Fergie's solution here :

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Clef_de_fa

Clef_de_fa

I remember my first teacher gave me some 12 bar rock blues pattern to learn using index+ring and then using middle+pinky

like this

G|----------------|-------5---7--|
    D|--------5----7-|----7----------|
    A|----7-----------|-5------------|
    E|-5-------------|----------------|
    etc

also practicing scale using all fingers help too