1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Experimental 5-string build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by ctmullins, Sep 6, 2010.

1. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered 8er Supporting Member

Here's another one, more or less concurrent with my 8-string build. This one is an "experimental" build, as it's something that I'm not exactly sure about, but, well, you never know until you try, right?

Specs:

Ash/purpleheart body
    3-piece maple bolt-on neck with ash/purpleheart headstock
    Pau Ferro fingerboard, 22/24 frets
    34" scale 5-string, 46mm at nut, 17mm spacing at bridge
    Electronics to be disclosed pending successful testing

It started with an ash/purpleheart body blank that I scored from eBay for a song. It's two wide sections of ash, with a purpleheart stripe down the center, and two sections of purpleheart on the top and bottom. I bought it not exactly knowing what I would do with it, but it was too cheap to pass up.

The stark contrast between the ash and the purpleheart finally began to suggest to me that I should pursue something of a rectangular body shape. So many people build organic bodies, and I certainly like them a lot, but for whatever reason I didn't think that the racing stripes would gel too well with a curvy shape.

So I started with my own interpretation of the Steinberger Spirit shape, with some Kubicki thrown in as well:

[​IMG]

The neck started out as a single quartersawn piece of rock maple, with a nice large rectangle of purpleheart grafted on as the headstock. But I muffed up the truss rod route (bit slipped), so I ripped the center section out and grafted a new one in. This time I used some of the offcut of the body for the headstock.

In keeping with the rectangular theme, I trimmed the end of the fingerboard to have 24 frets for the top three strings, and 22 for the bottom two:

[​IMG]

Likewise the headstock shape:

[​IMG]

The tuners are Grover wavy Titans, scored here and completely cool! There is just barely room on the headstock for them:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next steps for this one are radiusing the fingerboard, inlaying and fretting, and shaping the neck.
  2. Bass-Adrenaline

Bass-Adrenaline

I like it a lot so far, keep it up!
  3. LGT

LGT

This is whacky!
  4. Big B.

Big B.

I am surprised to find that I like it a lot. I think it would look cool if you cut the neck pocket to match the square cutout of the fingerboard. And unless it is uncomfortable I think you should leave the neck square on the back. It looks great as it is.
  5. Shifty eyes

Shifty eyes

bahaha whacky build subbed
  6. THIRSTYGUMS

THIRSTYGUMS

I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE AND ADORE THIS... different without being "wacky" interesting take on aesthetics but with respect paid to functionality- this is the first build ive got excited about in ages! (hence the nerdy font-wankery!)
  7. ctmullins

Thanks all!!

Haven't had much time to work on this, but hopefully this weekend...
  8. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Certainly unusual, and I like the general body shape and the laminating materials.

Why a 22/24-fret fretboard, though?
  9. Spas

Spas

Subscribed. I like the look of things already! :)
  10. ctmullins

Just 'cause. If I ever find myself up around the 24th fret (which so far has been never), I'm sure it'll be on the treble strings.
  11. ctmullins

........and we're back.

The original plan, about a year ago, was to make an 8-string (completed, or very nearly so), a 5-string fretted, and a 5-string fretless, all for my own personal use. This one was originally planned to be the fretted 5, but that's changed now. This one is now officially a fretless.

So, since the fingerboard was already purchased slotted from LMII, I needed to fill the fret slots with some mahogany veneer I already had lying around.

[​IMG]

Then, after trimming and sanding the veneer, it was time for inlay. I've been mulling over my inlay options for a loooooong time, but finally decided with this plan. I love paua abalone, and these are 2.5mm strips of paua from LMII, inlaid into strategic "fret" locations. First the routing was done with my Dremel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then the strips were laid in their channels, slathered with JB Weld.

[​IMG]

After curing for more than a day, the excess was sanded off - I radiused the fingerboard to 20" at this point as well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Did I mention I love paua abalone? :)
  12. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Wow... that's a lotta markers, down there at the end of the fingerboard... :)
  13. ctmullins

Yeah... I had planned on putting them at every other position. But when I made my first cut, I looked down and discovered that I had made it at the 22nd fret... Doh!
  14. Hopkins

Hopkins Supporting Member

This is going to be an awesome instrument
  15. Thumpin_P

Thumpin_P

Very cool, sir! Anxious to see this take shape. Subbed!
  16. TapyTap

TapyTap

[​IMG]

...highest form of flattery. ;)
  17. ctmullins

Oh wow - I swear I've never seen that before. I guess there's nothing new under the sun, huh?
  18. jmorbita

jmorbita

I love that fingerboard!
  19. ctmullins

Thanks for all the kind words, folks!

My best neck pocket ever, by far - a nice, tight press fit!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  20. ctmullins

Routed a recess for the bridge...

[​IMG]

...which is that marvel of modern engineering known as the Kahler 7450!

[​IMG]

Still have some cleaning up to do along the edges of the route...