explain compressors to me and why I "need" one

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by b-bottom, Nov 17, 2012.

1. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

2. tink9975

tink9975 Supporting Member

you might not need one.
    start here
  3. Inconnu

Inconnu

What he said... and, well, a compressor can be used as an effect or to even out the overall levels of your bass. Ever though your volume seems louder when you hit your low B or your low E then the other strings, however you play? Ever noticed a difference of volume between techniques? These are things a compressor can help you with... among others.
  4. Massimo636

Massimo636

You don't necessarily NEED one. If you use any distortion or overdrive on your main tone you have a form of compression going on right there. If you ever record in a studio they'll add it. You can live without it playing live, but it's definitely helpful for evening out your volume.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
  7. runmikeyrun

runmikeyrun

you shouldn't need a compressor if your playing style is consistent and your amp is eq'd properly, slap/pop guys excluded.
  8. b-bottom

b-bottom Supporting Member

Sounds like I don't need one. Rock
  9. cheapbasslovin

cheapbasslovin

It's not as simple as all that, but for the most part, you probably don't. I generally prefer not to use comps, but that's mostly because after trying a bunch of them I don't want ONE comp for everything, I want one for this and a different one for that. Since I'm so cheap, and none seem to provide me with any sort of holy grail of tone, I get none :).

If you have a few dimes to spare and are missing something consistent and identifiable from your tone that EQ can't seem to fix, you should poke your nose into a few stores that sell some good ones and see if a comp works for you. If you don't have that problem, you're probably good.