1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Explain punk "credibility"?

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by fourstringdrums, Dec 1, 2012.

1. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

I was thinking today about a punk artist who I've shared a bill with a few times. He's a solo guitarist who usually was put on as filler between other acts. I shared a bill with him twice:

First Time - 15 minutes into his set he broke a string and had no backup guitar or spare string. He had to end his set.

Second Time - He had to start late because he was waiting for another band to show up so that he could borrow a guitar because he left his someplace else and apparently didn't factor that into the fact that he had to play that night.

When I questioned someone about this they just said "It's punk credibility man..."

Could someone explain this to me? How is lack of preparedness on par with credibility?
  2. Waster

Waster

I would say that they were joking; his lax attitude indicates that he is truly 'punk'.

Connor
  3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't care what kind of music you play, there is no excuse for being unprepared. The audience deserves better.
  4. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

They were being ironic. Johnny Rotten tried irony and it didn't go over well at all.
  5. BogeyBass

BogeyBass

Oh yah.... your are a loser

but that is ok because you have punk credibility.

maybe he is a little poser with some anarchy sign on his stuff
    with a cute little British flag.

Meh punk creditability means kick him in the nuts...ok JK but

just a figure of speech could mean many things in a certain context or situation.
    basically, going by a punk stereotype, punks dont give a #### about anything and in general cant afford good equipment and just make due with what they got. Attitude and being a punk being more important than following trends.
    so even if your trying not to be a punk, but you F up or have some sort of crappy equipment this could give you punk creditability.
    Its just a joke or funny gesture to lighten the misfortune of a poorly organized individual in this case.
  6. bassthumpersf

bassthumpersf

I'd you're doing something for "credibility" you're not punk.
  7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

If you stop the show because you have a string missing, it ain't punk either.
  8. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Unfortunately kids nowadays will use the term "punk" to describe their fashion or attitude without an acknowledgement of the musical origin, this has always peeved me to no end.
    If you're not playing actual punk rock but want to use the term punk to describe your laziness then you're just stupid.
  9. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Punk is as punk does but even Johnny Rotten couldnt get away with not delivering a worthwhile show and punking his paying audience with the irony of it.
  10. Tevatron

Tevatron

+1
  11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

That is the stupidest thing I have ever heard.

I just got tangled up in a Someone Is Wrong On The Internet loop in another thread because I was explaining that apparently there's something wrong with me and I'm wrong since even though I don't make a goddamn penny off my gigs (yet), I still treat it like a job (a fun job, mind you). Gee, I guess I was wrong.

So in this case, I will say the same...if you aren't prepared for class or if you make a lame excuse about why you don't want to play a gig or if you act like a @#$ing jerk, that's not only not "punk rock" but it's being arrogant, entitled, and full of yourself if you expect everyone to just silently go along with your attitudes- let alone applaud it.

TL;DR: whether it's punk or jazz, why would you ruin it for yourself and others by acting like a spoiled brat and sabotaging yourself?

I'm sorry. I haven't had my coffee yet and I'm in this phase of Internet discussion where I'm tired of being so nice. :D
  12. john_martin_sai

john_martin_sai

First of all....there are no Punk Solo Guitarists.
  13. lfmn16

lfmn16 Supporting Member

Punk credibility - when you have no talent, you need to claim that there is something that makes you better than everyone else. :D
  14. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

LOL
  15. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

Punk is dead. Anyone claiming to be punk has no credibility...
  16. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Even if they have cool hair? :p
  17. Flyingfrets

Flyingfrets

"Punk Credibility" is an oxymoron.
  18. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

Punk isn't dead, dude. It just doesn't want to hang out with you.
    ;)

To the OP - "Punk" is a frame of mind. Punk is Zen. It's an attitude of how you treat yourself and others. Some people use it as a code of honor, you might say; the others, like your friend, use it as a way to get what they want by showing they don't care. They specifically stereotype themselves to fit their own needs. They have no respect for themselves or others. Punk, imo, is about unity, cooperation, honor, hard work, friendship, community, intelligence, family, logic, self-worth and I could go on and on. Your description of your friend sounds like he doesn't abide by any of these. Call it what you will but It seems he is a brat.
  19. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight Supporting Member

I remember reading a story on here a few years ago about a guitarist in a punk band who bought a new Marshall cab and then took a knife to its vinyl, because it wouldn't be cool to play punk with a spiffy, brand new cabinet. :rollno: I always find that pretty funny, because I always think about how nice Rancid's gear has always been; and Rancid is probably 100x more credible than that guitarist can ever hope to be.

I don't get into these huge Weberian discussions about the true definition of punk or whatever. I like a couple of bands that fall under the "punk" moniker, but it's a scene I've never really identified with.
  20. paparoof

paparoof Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    I drank the fEARful koolaid and I'm damn glad I did.
    Wrong.