Explor Audio H-Clamp

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by mtto, Aug 9, 2013.

1. mtto

mtto Supporting Member

I just recorded with a piano trio using my explor audio h-clamp.

Has anyone else used one? With what microphones? How were the results?

2. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Although I own a H-Clamp, it doesn't seat well on my Mirecourt Bass. Since it's a flat back that flairs at an angle respective to the top of the instrument. I like the construction of the H-Clamp, but it doesn't work well on my particular instrument. It will support just about any microphone you would want to use with it, you just have to be careful with the really heavy studio condensers.

Ric

3. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Chief Low-Frequency Facilitator, Gollihur Music LLC
    I have a couple; for recording I use them mostly for acoustic guitar when my guitarist comes over. It is awesome for that.

For my bass I used one for a small coffeehouse-ish venue where I needed just a little reinforcement; since it was live, I went with a small bodied dynamic mic rather than a condenser, which made dealing with feedback easier and didn't require phantom power. The mic is an Audio-Technica mic (Pro25AX) which is actually designed for low tom-tom drums. I found that it had a nice punch and response curve which quite naturally suited the bass for live use. I positioned the mic off-axis roughly above the f-hole, aimed toward the bass top between the bridge and fingerboard. Worked really nicely for live!

mtto likes this.