1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Explosion on My Exploiter

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by peabody, Nov 12, 2012.

1. peabody

peabody Supporting Member

I have been searching for a few years for a mid 80's Alembic Exploiter.....the Entwistle look. They come up for sale every once in a while, but they always seem to elude me.

A little over a week ago one came up on eBay. It looked like it was in pretty good shape, so I decided to make a play for it. I figure I'd go as high as $2700 because it was in such good shape.

The auction ended last night and the winning bid was over $3900....ouch.

They are cool basses, but there is no way I'm paying that much for one. I guess this means an Exploiter will be coming off my GAS list.....unless of course my Powerball numbers come through.
  2. bassteban

bassteban

eBay generates ridiculous numbers sometimes.
  3. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

I'd keep your eyes peeled for a re-listing of that one. IMHO the buyer over bid, it was a $3500 bass tops. He might have buyers remorse and bail on the sale. eBay is so much fun (not). Good luck in your hunt.
    I just got a mint 2005 Alembic Dragons Wing (see post #67)
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/alembic-gas-898154/index4.html#post13430291
    I've looked at many Exploiters in the past, great basses in the $3000 to $3500 range maybe more if celeb owned. Dont give up.
  4. peabody

One just hit eBay with a BIN of $3550...and this is different from the one that sold last night. Still out of my price range...so I guess we'll see if someone takes it.

I know you have to take what you find in the Vintage Guitar Price Guide with a grain of salt (and the last issue I purchased was the 2010 guide), but their pricing on these was around $1800-$2200 if I recall correctly.

I can understand the high price demanded for a Spyder, or even a Series II Exploiter, but the Series I's, while unusual, aren't that rare. Crazy...
  5. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

eBay is nutz sometimes. I often wonder how many of their sales are shills and just used to drive the price up on some gear. Here's a couple of year old link to a lesser Exploiter (but with celeb history) that really makes you wonder what's going on at eBay. http://springfield-illinois.olx.com...exploiter-explorer-bass-mint-koa-iid-92572059
    I'm always looking, if I see anything interesting I'll fwd to you. Good luck.
  6. peabody

Thanks for the link. To be honest, I tried to buy that Exploiter back in June of 2010, but the ad was a total scam.

The seller tried to convince me that we could work the deal through eBay...without an actual auction. He said I would get an e-mail from eBay with instructions on how to pay...and since it was through eBay, I was "protected." It was a total scam. The e-mail had misspelled words, grammatical errors, bad graphics, etc...and my payment had to be sent by MoneyGram.

I was really bummed at the time because I thought I had finally found an Exploiter at a reasonable price. As they say, if it seems too good to be true, it probably is....
  7. Instagator

Instagator

Yep...it was on my watch list as well..ended at $3946..man!! :rolleyes:

Or you could build a Warmoth...I'm happy with mine.Body and neck were purchaced right here on TB.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Cheers.
  8. Bob Growler

Bob Growler

Check out my "Essence Exploiter Value" post from April. I just gave it a bump.
  9. peabody

Pretty cool...even the headstock looks like an Alembic.

In addition to the normal Explorer-type basses out there (Gibson, Epi, etc.), I also came across a Moonstone Exploder that was kind of cool too.

[​IMG]

If nothing else, it sure is fun to look....
  10. peabody

Thanks for bumping this. I did come across your thread in a search I did.

That's kind of where I was at with price....and where I thought they should be. That's why when this one sold for $3946, it blew me away.

I'll find one someday....
  11. peabody

...and to put an end to a perfect day, someone just hit the BIN of $3550 on the Exploiter that was listed today. Crazy....
  12. Bob Growler

Bob Growler

Cheer up. My buddy still has his....... PM sent.
  13. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

14. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender and Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I've seen items on ebay that have had bids higher than you could pay for new. Sometimes I wonder what people are thinking when they bid. I have had found some good deals on Amazon. Last year I bought an American built SVT6PRO, new in the original unopened box for $600.

Try Alembic's website. There is a section with for sale ads. You might be able to find one there.
  15. wilfred

wilfred

Thats really cool lookin!:D
  16. peabody

Thanks to BG (and his buddy Mike), I got an Exploiter heading my way. I can't wait. Now if I could just sell my '73 Precision, I could pay back the money I borrowed out my savings account before my wife finds out....
  17. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Sweet! Post pictures when she's in your hands.
  18. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

FANTASTIC! Can't wait for the pics. Be sure to join the Alembic club when you get it.:hyper:
  19. peabody

Here are the "pre" pics...taken by the current owner. I'll post some more of my own when it arrives. It looks like a beauty....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  20. Aussie Player

Aussie Player

I had one in the late 80's for a few years. Swapped a Spoiler for it as it had the Distillate electronics. When I sold it, I was scratching to get $1700 for it.