1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

expressing creativity while maintaining original song when covering

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by bdh2991, Dec 27, 2013.

1. bdh2991

bdh2991

Since i play mostly worship/gospel music, majority if not all of the songs i perform are covers of an original song. I usually listen the the songs i have to play about four or five times before i actually grab my bass but i find it hard to hear the bassline i want to create over the original version. I wanted to ask for advice on how to say what you want to say through a bass line while still maintaining a similar feel to the original version of the song your covering. I will also add that some of the bass lines on the original i enjoy playing quite a bit and will keep the same, but others seem like they aren't what i would play if i was creating the song from scratch. Hope i'm not sounding too selfish within this post lol. Thanks