Expression pedal for xerograph deluxe

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by BFunk, Jan 19, 2014.

1. BFunk

BFunk Gold Supporting Member

I am looking for a new expression pedal for my iron ether xerograph deluxe. I am currently using a moog ep2. It does the job but feels cheap and the heel down is too deep to be comfortable for me. I would like a the pedal to be high quality construction, low profile, and a short throw. I tried the dunlop dvp3. It met all the criteria above, but did not work with the xerograph. I am willing to spend about $100 on a good pedal. Any suggestions?
  2. BFunk

A couple of years ago Taylor sent me an email with a diagram showing how I can convert m 250K mono EB VPJR to an expression pedal. I thought I could do this, but honestly, I could never make out what I need to do. If you can explain the diagram I would be extremely grateful.

[​IMG]
  3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston

Disclosures:
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Well, let's see. You don't really need the switch or the resistor in the middle, so I'd forget that for now. So basically it's just two potentiometers. The one marked treadle is the one your foot moves; the other is a panel-mount pot that attenuates the output of the treadle pot, which sets the max value to which the pedal will sweep.

The symbol on the bottom represents ground. In this case, just tie the left lug of each pot together and then to the stereo jack sleeve.

Also check out the Mission Engineering pedals. I haven't used one but I think some people have used them successfully with IE pedals.
  4. BFunk

Hey Taylor -

Thanks for the response. Honestly, I am still not getting it. You would have to explain it to me like I am a seventh grader. I assume this means that I am not the guy to mess around with this. :)

As for the mission pedal, would you recommend the EP-1, 10k linear, or the EP-25k, 25K linear?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Vin69Nik

Vin69Nik Supporting Member

You could also check this1smyne.com.
    Dan makes some really tiny expression pedals. I ordered him 2 of these expression pedals. I plan to use it with the Moog MF104M, still on my wish list though.
    I've also got a VP JR. He modded it. I chose the tone-suck mod, as he names it and the led lights inside. It looks and sounds great.
  7. BFunk

I have a couple of this1smyne expression pedals. I was using a 10k with the xerograph. They are great for quick adjustments. I was not able to use it with the same subtlety as a real expression pedal.
  8. Lebowsky

Lebowsky Effects Forum Resident Supporting Member

I got my modded VP JR from Jeff Moote here at TB. Perfect!
  9. BFunk

I emailed Dan at this1smyne about modding my EB VPJR. He said it would still have an audio taper. I already tried using my 25K VPJR and did not like the result. I felt it was too hard to control. Amazingly, a local dealer had a Mission Engineering EP-25K. I drove out to try it with the Xerograph. It works perfectly. The Mission Engineering pedal has all the features I am looking for and is built like a tank. Of course, I did not like the idea of spending $140 on an expression pedal. But I am sure I will enjoy it long after the sting of the price wears away. The only caution I can add is that it has a short throw like a wah-wah pedal. It requires more subtle movements of the foot.

Best part of all: it's red!

[​IMG]