1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Expression pedal range problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Spiffmeister, Nov 18, 2013.

1. Spiffmeister

Spiffmeister Meister of the Spiffs

Howdy!

I dug up my Roland EV-5 and Behringer BSY-600 synth pedal for a project with a friend of mine. I want to create a synth note without sweep, and then create a fast sweep with the expression pedal.

However, I can't seem to get the range right. The min and max settings seem to always have the same range. Meaning, I seem to be only able to set the LFO speed range from 0-20, or 45-65, or 80-100, where i want to set it from 0-100.

It looks like that's not possible with this expression pedal, or the combination with my cheapo synth?

2. Spiffmeister

*bump*
    These are both rather popular pedals, surely someone knows?

3. Spiffmeister

*final bump*
    Are there ány expression pedals that do what I want to achieve? The ability to get reach both extremes of an LFO, slowest and fastest?

4. HugoBazZ

HugoBazZ

Bump for interest :b

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Projectile

Projectile

The EV-5 has a knob on it that should allow you to set the minimum level. On the BSY600 the rate knob sets the max level. If that doesn't work, then it's probably not possible. Usually a rate knob is just a pot wired as a variable resistor. Depending on how the expression jack is wired, the pot in the EV5 simply might not have enough resistance to reach the full range of values.

7. Spiffmeister

Thx for the reply!

I have the rate on the BSY600 set to max indeed. The knob on the EV5 is the problem, actually.

If I set it to the minimum, i get the slowest rate I want when the pedal is heel down. but when it is toe down, the fastest rate kant fast enough.
    If I raise the knob on the EV5, the rate doesnt "widen", it just gets moves. The min and max speed get raised by the same amount. So at highest setting of the knob, i get the wanted fastest rate when toe down, but the rate is too fast when Its heel down.

Ive been doing more research and it seems a known problem here and there, so it might not be possible. Im gonna mess around some more though.

8. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

From your OP is wasn't 100% clear to me that you were in one of the "auto-wah"-like modes. Now that I understand what you mean, I think you are correct, and I don't think this is possible.

9. Spiffmeister

Ah yes, I meant one of the (I think 2) modes that lets you control the LFO speed with an expression pedal.

But the problem lies with the Roland, not the Behringer? If so, could I achieve this with a different expression pedal?

10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

No I think it's with Behringer. I don't think you can turn off the LFO completely.

11. Spiffmeister

Ah. That would be a bummer. I only use it for a fun-project with a friend of mine, so it's not crucial, but still.

We'll have to use a synthesizer or something else for that effect then. We're using Ableton live, so there's tons of options. But it's still a pity the BSY600 cant do that.