Expressionator Questions

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by CHILDISHGAMBINO, Feb 18, 2014.

1. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I'm thinking of picking an expressionator with my tax monies and I have a few questions.

Question the first: When I use my EV-5 expression pedal with some of my pedals I don't get the full sweep of the parameter that I am controlling. For example I only get about 80% of the range on my Zoom B3(which I never really noticed until recently messing with some pitch effects that I have never bothered with) same on my Orbit. Do the adjustable tapers help with this type of situation?

Question the second: Is anybody using this thing with a Zoom B3, and if so does it work well for you?

Question the third: I'm kinda torn about buying something that costs 200 bucks and doesn't doing anything on its own. There are other pedals I want to try but this thing seems like it could really expand the possibilities already available to me and inspire some new sounds. Am I wrong?

Sorry for the long post and thanks for any thoughts.
  2. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right? Supporting Member

3. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    DeltaPhoenix used the Zoom B3 a lot. Maybe PM him so he sees this. And I thiiiiink the answer to 1) is yes.

As for the money, it's worth it. And so is a parallel looper. Best money ever spent.
  4. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Thanks. I pm'd Delta.
  5. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

6. Lebowsky

Lebowsky w00t? Supporting Member

Might be easiest to contact Mission Engineering directly (and let us know their answers :))
  7. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

It is looking like that may be the best option.
  8. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    hey childishgambino -

1) Expressionator isn't going to fix your expression pedal only going 80% on those two pedals. You might want check and make sure what those pedals want as far as 10k, 25k - Expressionator works great with all Strymon products (if that's a Strymon Orbit) - but if you're pedal is only going 80%, you'll probably just get 4 bars on the metering lights. (you do have the knob on the side of the EV-5 down all the way, yes?)

2) Should work fine with Zoom products.

3) Question of it being "worth it" to you, is really up to you. Do you use your expression pedals a lot? Personally, I would much rather have an Expressionator instead of 3 EV-5s (or whatever) or having to switch inputs at a show with one expression pedal. You can create some pretty unique sounds mixing three different expression channels moving in same/different directions (delays coming in as fuzz fades out, tremolo speed ramping up as reverb gets louder, etc.) - if you play standing up using more than one expression pedal at a time is pretty tricky. :D
  9. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

Thanks Jean Baudin, I was hoping you would see this.

Yep the knob is all the way down on the EV-5. The Orbit that I'm talking about is the Copilot FX VCO/Fuzz, I'm pretty sure it was designed with the moog expression pedal in mind. I have no idea what the rating is for the the moog or what the Zoom calls for(I'm guessing the moog would work better for it than the Roland). I figured the expressionator would work with the Zoom but I didn't want to find out the hard way.

I use my expression pedal a lot with my B3 and I used to use it a lot with my Boss PS-6 but have been using the momentary switch in S-bend mode instead of unplugging and replugging the EV-5. I think it would be pretty cool to do a +2 octave bend and ramp up the speed on a trem or fade in a big wash of reverb or delay at the same time. So I'm pretty sure it would be worth it for me. Plus the different modes on expressionator could open up some new sounds that I wouldn't be able to get otherwise. Now I have to find and expression pedal that fully sweeps the Zoom and Orbit(although I don't know how much I'd use expression capabilities on the Orbit so it's less important). Everywhere seems to be out of stock on the Zoom expression pedal the last time I checked.

Thanks for answering.