extension cab help and combo question.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Cdoh, Feb 21, 2014.

1. Cdoh

Cdoh

Hi guys,

I've just picked up a late 90's trace elliot 1518T (red stripe) for 50 quid (about $80) on ebay. My work horse is an Ashdown MAG-C210 and I plan to use this as an extension cab. I used to have the paired Ashdown cab but flogged it in a fit of downsizing and immediately regretted it. The TE Is rated at 300w & 8ohms and as far as I'm aware the MAG is 8ohms so this should be fine right? I've checked as much as I can and I'm pretty sure it'll be okay. Just looking looking for some reassurance.
    Second question is I'm looking at a decent head as an upgrade for the MAG. When I get there I want to turn the combo into just a 2×10 cab (until that itself is replaced, it just never ends). Now, the amp in the mag is connected to the cab by just a standard 1/4" Jack running out of the back of the amp. Can I just unscrew the head, unplug it and run whatever head I end up with into it? I've read up on these conversions on here and non of them seem to connect this way.

Any help always appreciated.

2. Downunderwonder

Downunderwonder

Usually an Ashdown combo is the standard amp with a hardwired speaker cable from the cab plugging into the amp. Not rocket science. Get another 1/4" lead and hope they are in phase and sound good together.