1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Extension Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by JJThunder, Feb 19, 2013.

1. JJThunder

JJThunder

Hi Tb :). Need some help and advice regarding running and extension cab off of a Combo amp. (I apologize in advance for my terrible electronics knowledge)

The Amp i currently use is a Hartke 210C (Not the 5210 with the LH Series head built into it). The guitarist in my band has gone and got himself a Marshall cab and head and our gigs are starting to get bigger so i need to size up too.

The head has one output and underneath it says a minimum of 4 ohm. So im presuming that if i was to buy an 8ohm Hydrive 410 to use as an extension, the head would work in the combo driving the cabinet like a standard head and cab. Or if the combo speaker set was 8ohm, i could buy a splitter, wire them in parallel therefore the output is 4ohms and i have a 6x10 rig? Or is this incorrect?
  2. carvinbassplyr

carvinbassplyr

If the combo speaker is in fact 8 ohms you could daisy chain another 8 ohm cab to it and have a 4 ohm setup. If the combo speaker is 4 ohms you could just buy a bigger 4 ohm cab to be powered alone by the amp when the need arises.
  3. MontanaBassDude

MontanaBassDude

You're correct; that's incorrect.

If I'm reading your questions right --Your two 10s = 4 ohms, and that's all your head will handle. You could get a 4x10 cab (8 ohms) or two 4x10s (another 8 ohms) and you'd be good at 4 ohms. But then you're carrying around a 60 pound combo with two unusable speakers.

Splitter, wire in parallel? - forget it. Doesn't work that way.
  4. coyote1

coyote1

The 210c is a great amp.

Any good 4x10, 8 ohm cab would be a great addition and that amp would easily keep up. A Hydrive cab would be awesome.

EDIT: oops. I was thinking about the combos with the LH500 amp. Ignore the above.
  5. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

If your combo's amp is limited to a 4-Ohm load, and the internal 2x10 speakers present a 4-Ohm load, you will not be able to ADD a second cabinet unless it is connected in SERIES with your 2x10 OR you use the second cab INSTEAD OF the built-in 2x10.
  6. basscooker

basscooker

Disclosures:
    Owner, Chopshopamps.com
    i'm not sure what exactly they mean about the 4 ohm minimum. since the amp already has speakers, and the connector they have built into it says 4 ohm minimum, then either connecting a cab to it will disconnect the combo's speakers or the amp will run at 2 ohms. your question would be easier to answer if you clarify which.
  7. Vince Klortho

Vince Klortho

According to the manual, the speakers in the combo are 4 ohms and it can accomodate a 4 ohm load of external speakers according to the label on the back. At least, that's how I read it. That would make a minimum load of 2 ohms on the amp and that would make sense.

FWIW, the manual says, "The jack is used to connect the internal 4-ohm Hydrive hybrid cone bass speaker system" and that's all.

Hartke has a toll-free tech support line so you might want to give them a call to clarify this.
  8. JJThunder

JJThunder

Thanks everyone.