External Speaker for Working Pro 12

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Rickgmusic, Nov 16, 2012.

1. Rickgmusic

Rickgmusic

Hi, I have an SWR Working Pro12 with 4 ohm rating. I was thinking about adding an external (external speaker jack in rear) speaker. What impedance will I need to make sure I don't go below 4 ohms total. I can't seem to find the correct speaker cabinet or any more specific info regarding if it is series or parallel.
    Also, does SWR or anyone else make an appropriate cabinet for this particular amp?
    Thanks.

Rick Gonzalez
    Gig Harbor Wa.

Sent from my iPad
  2. bobcruz

bobcruz

Does your combo have a jack in the rear with the speaker cable from the speaker section plugged into it like the older WM12? If so, you can unplug the internal speaker and run either one 4-ohm external cabinet or two 8-ohm external cabinets from that jack. The internal speaker is 4 ohms so the amp is already running at the lowest permissible ohms with just the internal speaker. If there is no jack you can unplug, then you'd have to modify the amp to create one--again, the internal speaker has to be unplugged to use any external speaker. Good luck, Bob
  3. Rickgmusic

Rickgmusic

Thanks for your reply bobcruz...
    No, there is no way to disconnect the internal speaker, but there is an "External Speaker" jack. There must be a reason. I don't suppose the internal 12" speaker gets disconnected when you plug in an external speaker chord.
  4. Rickgmusic

Rickgmusic

Well, never mind, it does have the unplug-able internal speaker chord.
    I see what needs to be done now.
    Thanks again.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bobcruz

bobcruz

If it has an external speaker jack, it probably disconnects the internal speaker when you use it. The manual should tell you what you need to know.
  7. MrLenny1

MrLenny1 Supporting Member

You can only run that speaker by itself or disconnect it and use an external cab at a 4 ohm rating. The amp will not do 2 ohms. You could run two 8 ohm cabs in theory but that would
    not be practical at all.
    Time to consider a big rig.