1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Extra pickup cavities and moral standards

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by uOpt, Nov 24, 2012.

1. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

How much of a sin is it in your opinion to do extra cavities?

I have a H Stingray and would like a HS. The extra cavity is under the pickguard and I don't expect to run without pickguard. Problem is I can't find a routing template for many specific bass pickups, so the route might not look perfect.

I have one of those Fernandez Jazz basses that go cheap. I want to use it as a testbed for pickups. So at least under the pickguard you'd expect a P or H sized route. Of course the sweet spot isn't covered by the pickguard, so there's another decision to make.

How much do you believe does the sound change from extra cavities, or enlarging cavities?
  2. dedpool1052

dedpool1052

MHO, it would make more sense to trade the SR4H in towards a SR4SH if thats what you're going for. or checking out one of those lakland skylines with the j/mm pickup combo.
  3. RFord04

RFord04 Supporting Member

Only you can really answer this question, for yourself. The bass is yours to do with, as you please. If you're not planning on selling the bass at any point and intend on keeping it, the only person that should care at all is you. On the other hand, if you're the type who, like myself, tends to get G.A.S. a lot and tends to sell basses in order to acquire new ones, I'd say you're better off not doing it, as it will greatly devalue the bass. Even the best routing work done by a pro will devalue a nice bass.

As far as the sound being changed by the extra pickup route alone, I can't attest to it, but I don't think it would make a very noticeable difference.
  4. ILLINOX

ILLINOX

i think, speaking magnetically, of course, that the wood (type, cuts, holes, etc...) can not affect your sound in an electric bass at all, except in ways of sustain. afterall, a pickup is simply a magnetic field being distorted by the movement of the string inside the field.

so, cut away. you may, however lose some sustain.
  5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

i can't see losing any tone or sustain at all from a rout under a pickguard; i just don't buy it.

that said, it can devalue a bass for resale, and with certain basses like a classic jazz it eliminates the otherwise cool-looking "no-pickguard" option.
  6. Stu L.

Stu L.

Search eBay for routing templates or go to Stew Mac. The bass templates I have are from Stew Mac, the P90s from eBay. If you decide to route, do it right. As for the extra holes and sustain, I wouldn't worry much. Too little wood IMO.
  7. ubnomnar

ubnomnar Supporting Member Supporting Member

Extra cavities in your bass are fine as long as it's your bass.

As soon as it comes time to sell... you will likely find that "cavities" are expensive and there is no bass dentist to patch them up like new :eek:

Since EBMM does not sell their pickups separately, what do plan to use as the "S" pickup?
  8. uOpt

uOpt Supporting Member

I have most of the Stewmac templates but they don't have obscure bass pickups, such as what I assume will be the MM single coil (never seen one in a shop, I assume it isn't J sized).

I think if I do this it would be a Jazz pickup cavity so that I can try different models.

I'm quickly losing interest in messing with the Stingray, though, because if I use a Jazz pickup then I need a custom pickguard (pickguard with MM's single coils are available on ebay) and I will have to deal with one pickup intended for active electronic and one intended for passive. Meh.

Probably better trying to up-trade it here. Mine is pretty so it should work :)
  9. georgestrings

georgestrings Supporting Member

Agreed on all of the above - also, a properly functioning EBMM HS is more than just an added single coil in the neck position - there's also a phantom coil for hum, and the switching configuration... I've owned EBMMs in HH, H, and HS, and wouldn't "add" a pickup to one - I'd flip it, and buy what I wanted... IME, EBMMs are very consistant, so you're extremely likely to end up with another good player...

- georgestrings