Extreme Cheapskates

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by tastybasslines, Nov 3, 2012.

1. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

I've thought of myself as cheap, like I personally will order water at a restaurant if there are no free refills, and I constantly scan an analyze menus for the "best value" that I think I will enjoy the most. My wife just called me cheap, because she buys special crackers that come with about 12 in the package for $4.50, which I tease her about. But that's about it. I do though look for best values all the time, and I don't buy "fashionable" clothes, and look for things usually that will "get the job done" for the best possible price. I read reviews and take forever sometimes to try to convince myself that I am making the best decision possible.

I know I am a little cheap, but not like these people on Extreme Cheapskates. Anyone seen the show yet? This guy's wife asks for a soda and popcorn at the movies, and the guys says OK, and pulls out a popcorn container and a cup from the trash, washes them in the bathroom and then goes to claim free refills and gives them to her in the context that he bought them for her. Or the women who hasn't bought a new pair of underwear since 1999, the women who uses paper towels, let's them dry and then reuses them and picking up street mattresses without worrying about bedbugs, and the list goes on.

Are you cheap? Anyone do things like this?
  2. hover

hover

In your case, it's imo not being cheap, it's being frugal...or at the very least not placing such non-essentials in high regard over more worthwhile, lasting things. That's how I function too. If I can get an equivalent of something that costs three times the price (say a nice zip up fleece from Target vs. an equivalent from the North Face) and it will fill the need, I will 95% of the time opt for the perceived "lesser" article / foodstuff/ whatever. But when it comes to gear or whatever I usually buy used anyway...more bang for the buck. I don't buy with the view that what I buy is disposable commodity though. I care for whatever I buy.

Then again, I am the guy who doesn't impulse buy, and am diligent on the best reviewed this or that and waiting for extreme sales on stuff for the home...I don't buy WalMart grade electronics or whatever, I want those types of things to last...so if it's not imperative as a "right now" purchase, I will wait, I have patience.

I have this "discussion" at times with my Wife too. Of course we both cave now and then, and that's just fine too...but on the whole, I'd rather build a memory with the kids or something more lasting with that cash.
  3. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

I like to use the term "Thrifty"

Cheap means you will buy junk to save a couple bucks.
    Thrifty means you buy the best but at a very low price.
  4. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

I remember hearing of a lady who used to carry an empty ketchup bottle around, and fill it up every time she came across the free ketchup packets at restaurants. That's what I'd call extreme cheapskate.

But going the extra mile to try and save a few bucks on food/clothes is fine in my book. I, myself, have been known to take advantage of coupons if they can be used for something I need :D
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. tastybasslines

tastybasslines Supporting Member

Yeah, I agree. My mom steals the Splenda/Equal packets from restaurant tables, and even at the end of a meal, she asks for more bread and then wraps it up in a napkin, puts it in her purse and takes it home.
  7. tplyons

tplyons

I've found occasions where the most expensive option is often the best value.

I'll spend $80 on a dress shirt but it will look good and stay crisp for several years, where the $20 dress shirts fall apart after a few months.

But value is something I always consider.
  8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Quality first, price second for me. My time is valuable too, so I don't spend hours looking for a good deal. I find what I want, if the price is reasonable, I buy it. I know people who search online on and off for days to find the best deal. No thanks.

-Mike
  9. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya

This.
  10. Ziltoid

Ziltoid Supporting Member

I'm definitely not cheap. I like to think myself as a generous person, I like giving. And when it's for myself, I have no problem spending money either. However, I do shop, read reviews, and aim for the best price.
  11. A-Step-Towards

A-Step-Towards Supporting Member

I have learned how to save in college, I graduate in 5 weeks and most students are carrying a average of $22,000 in debt at my school, according to my school. Due to my eye for deals, not buying an iphone,not having cable, internet, driving a crappy car, etc I have been able to pay for all my own schooling , take zero loans, owe no one anything and have substantial savings. There is a fine line between being thrifty and being cheap, i still will only wear levis, nikes, I still have nice basses and still enjoy nights out with friends on the weekend. I think the stuff putting people in debt is buying all these useless gadgets and keeping up by owning the latest and greatest.
  12. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

I can't be the only one that thought the popcorn refill idea was ingenious. :D
  13. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem. Gold Supporting Member

The last vehicle I bought, I spent 7 hours in the dealership haggling (but I paid less than 1/2 price for it). I rarely pay full price for anything and I always ask for discounts (yes, even at Wal-Mart). I laughed and called myself a "cheap-a$$ed b!**h" today after one of my "sorry, I'm not buying because I didn't get the deal I wanted" episodes, and was lectured about how sensibly frugal I am.
  14. Chef FourString

Chef FourString

+1
  15. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

The people on those shows are on a whole another planet than the rest of us. I saw one of a family that uses scraps of cloth as reusable toilet paper. That's absolutely disgusting. Digging in the trash for used popcorn/soda containers and getting free refills is gross too. I know the guy rinses them out but still.. The thing that gets me is that most of those people don't HAVE to do that..they'd be just fine spending the money, they just don't want to.
  16. tplyons

tplyons

This defines me as well. Often my time is more valuable than the savings of getting something elsewhere.
  17. No Neck Shrek

No Neck Shrek

There is nothing wrong with getting the most for your money. I've become so good at it, sometime I have friends ask me to help them find certain items.

I just taught my Dad how to price match items found on the computer but purchased locally.
  18. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

I havent bought new shoes or clothes in years. Butbi tip more then 50% when i go out.

My latest finds were a pair of brown leather birks for 20 shipped in brand new condition. A pair of waterproof timberland boots in great conditon for 22 shipped. A pendleton plaid shirt for 6 bucks.

I spend good money on beer. I spend much less on great clothing and shoes.

Ive got 14 pairs of high end brown leather shoes and 3 pairs of black leather shoes.

All 20 bucks or less.
  19. placedesjardins

placedesjardins

I am cheap sometimes. I rarely eat out for lunch. I bring my lunch. I drive slower to save on gas, not avoid tickets. I do my own car repairs.
    But, if there's something I really want that is relateively expensive, like music instruments or electronics, I will try to get it on sale or clearance.
  20. knarleybass

knarleybass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner of Ulyate Instruments
    I have been in bands with guys that wouldn't tip, it was the worst,
  21. Simo98

Simo98

I work a lot and don't buy much, so when I make a purchase it's generally top shelf.

Although when I shop for groceries generally about 95% of the items I buy are on sale, but I'll still always pick the good brands.

I'm a cheap skate in that I can make my money last a long way, but it's generally more to do with not buying things I don't need rather than actually buying cheap things.