1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Extreme downtuning progressive metal help.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bassmasta117, Feb 5, 2013.

1. bassmasta117

bassmasta117

Hey guys, I have exhausted searches for a while and now I ask you for help. I am joining a progressive metal band where the tuning for me will either be F#, B, F#, B, E, or exactly that one half step up. I have multiple 5 and 6 string basses, but they are all 34" scale. I would say they can handle drop A fairly well(im using a 135 B right now), but anything below that is just too clicky. I am looking for advice: with a 34" scale, is it even feasible to get a string gauge between say 145-180? What gauge would get the right balance of thickness and tension for that tuning? I am just trying to avoid having to get a new bass with 35" or 36" scale.
  2. ixlramp

ixlramp

Yeah totally possible with a 34" scale, don't worry about that, you'll need to build a custom set for that tuning. IMO Circle K Strings are the best subcontra strings available and their singles have no cost penalty compared to the sets: http://circlekstrings.com/store/single_strings.html
    Use the tension chart to design a custom set with equal tension strings, you can also use it to discover what tension you prefer as it is roughly accurate for other brands of roundwound: http://circlekstrings.com/CKSIMAGES/CircleKtensionChart130105.pdf
    Note that CKs only fit top-load bridges and are nickelplated steel outer wrap over steel inner wraps. A medium tension is roughly 40 pounds so a .182 will give you that at F# and G. A good method for designing a set is to match the tensions to that of your favourite gauge of E string.