1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fæpbœx III: 3-Band Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by EricssonB, Jul 21, 2012.

1. EricssonB

EricssonB

Made a rip-off of somebody else's ripoff of a Stingray 3-band preamp. Didn't like the guy's layout, so I made mine with a clockwise rotation on the signal flow. Yes, you may notice that the digital layout is slightly smaller than the one in the picture -- I didn't realise how large those components were in real life. Just started from the input and stretched it out just a smidge.

Works great, thanks to some help. I had added a fourth capacitor instead of a straight shot between -V and ground. Don't do that. Fixed on schematic.

Next build of it will be on a smaller board and be placed inside of a 1590 enclosure.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (Heh, picture from before I scrapped that fourth capacitor. Bias power is yellow wire, ground is white; +/-V is wired from one side to the other on the underside.)
    [​IMG]
    Built two on the same board, to be split and put into the final Bœxes, one sent to a friend. How romantic.
  2. ryansalmond

ryansalmond Supporting Member

3. EricssonB

EricssonB

Suggestions on layout? Feel free. Not asking for a lot beyond an eye to notice something that I didn't.

About ready to build these things, finally. Figured I'd be a perfectionist and draft up some lines for when I take it to the drill press. To be printed and used for drill press guides on a 1590 enclosure. Most of the lines are merely for reference.

God forbid somebody accuse me of not putting in enough LEDs.

Why yes, I am drafting this up using Adobe Illustrator, everything being done according to a grid and using centimeters for precision. Measured up all the components by hand, beforehand.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Worked just fine for my guitar that I built a few years back.
    [​IMG]
  4. father of fires

father of fires Supporting Member

Looks fun. Your input stage is quite confusing???!!!

Where do you come up with the design? It looks like a lot of components for a basic buffer? Is this going to be used with an active or passive bass?

OH I see! Its the Sting Ray schematic. Sorry. I wasn't paying attention.

As it stands, it looks like it would sound the best with a passive instrument without any buffers (tamer highs). I'd love to hear sound samples.
  5. EricssonB

EricssonB

You can find sound samples under the "somebody else's ripoff" link on the original post.

I'm building it in an enclosure because I have four instruments and they're all passive. :)
  6. EricssonB

EricssonB

Guess it could use an update and closeout. Finish up the original Fæpbœx series. Made a "I" last week because I had some parts laying around; LPB-1. Why not.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  7. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Is that pronounced "fap-box"?
  8. EricssonB

EricssonB

I think so. :ninja: