1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

F-Clef Custom Series II Classic 6 sighted ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kerrycares, May 8, 2012.

1. kerrycares

kerrycares Supporting Member

has anybody seen one of these?

2. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Ahh, so after all these years of obfuscation from the F Clef camp ( George) its finally out in the open that he does not build his basses, and it raises the possibility that he may not be any kind of luthier or even a repairman.

I remember reading in a previous thread that he was annoyed at responding to any complaints or criticism online because " anytime I have to deal with people like this takes me away from working in the shop".

No reflection on Ray at R Basses....so please dont misunderstand the post.

3. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Was it f Clef that was rumoured to be making the Fodera NYC Series basses years ago? It sounds familiar but not super familiar.

4. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Well, sort of in a way. From what I read FClef, NYC, and BottomWave were all made in the same Japanese shop and there were all sorts of connections buisness- wise between all three at the same time. FClef and BottomWave were basically identical save for the decal, NYC had very similar design ( same bolt on neck carve etc) but had a few differences too.

I just re- read the whole thread from 2009, and another one from 2010.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

OK, that sounds very similar to other Japanese shops hiring out to multiple brand names, like Matsumoku and Fuji Gen-Gakki.

7. kerrycares

8. kerrycares

I'm in search of the ultimate 6 string 70's Jazz bass

9. YCBass

YCBass

Disclosures:
    Endorser: Marco Bass Guitars, Dunlop Super Bright Bass Strings
    I don't mean to troll... But maybe take a look at an FBass VF6 in 70's configuration... There's actually a completed one available on their site.

10. Just Thumpin'

Just Thumpin' Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Manager and Partner, Fodera Guitars (as of 10/14/09)
    No, fClef never made our NYC basses...

J

11. Just Thumpin'

Disclosures:
    We used a small 2-man shop in Japan to have our NYC's built, but the designs of the NYC's were uniquely ours. Bottom Wave were also built there and possibly fClef (I do not know this for sure becasue it was before my time here at Fodera).

We stopped doing any work with that shop at the end of last year...not because they didn't do GREAT work, they did. We just decided to take 100% of our production in-house here in Brooklyn.

Cheers,

J

12. Just Thumpin'

Disclosures:
    Ray, this is completely false...the original design and carvings for the NYC line were done by Vinny here in Brooklyn and some of the original NYC's were made here too. The shop that we used in Japan was sourced by Joey through our Japanese distributor...

I have been to Japan and spoken with everyone involved (including the people in the wood shop) -- their version of events is completely identical to Joey's.

J

13. kerrycares

I'm not a fan of 34.5".
    34" preferred

14. kerrycares

I don't mean to be rude and I've seen all of the venom spoken about F bass but I have owned them,my buddies own them and I just want to know if anyone has seen and played one of these 6 string instruments.

Please keep all of the other negativity to yoursels, thanks.

I just am interested in a 34" scale, 70's jazz bass.

15. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Banned

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    The VF series is 34" not 34.5".

16. kerrycares

17. Blue Blood

Blue Blood Banned

Disclosures:
    Associate to Scomel Basses
    Weird but I have a feeling that is a typo.

18. 78Jazzlover

78Jazzlover

Before your time all three "brands " were made at the same place. But here is the issue:

FClef and Bottom Wave were exactly the same bass save for the decal on the headstock (I guess they were destined for different markets or something went awry between the Principles involved). But just so its clear, the NYCs, Bottom Waves, and FClefs made at that one shop at that time had the EXACT same Vinny Fodera heel carve for bolt - ons ( the same as the custom shop bolt- ons) which is distinctive, and that was a source of confusion and also tied the three brands together being made out of the same shop. To add to the whole thing was that at that time all 3 brands had the same pups and Mike Pope pre

Plus...

There were buisness and personal ties between all the Principles. So I dont think its exactly 100% accurate to say that the Fodera NYC was completely an arms length product to the other two in design or buisness ties. You can just see that in the heel carve even if you reject anything else.

There were differences with the NYC in design but clearly it was not a totally separate line in terms of design and parts and most probebly buisness arrangements as why would BW/FClef be using Vinny Fodera bolt - on heel carves from the Brooklyn Custom shop without any buisness arrangements? Thats the "smoking gun".

In any event its GREAT that Fodera has distanced themselves from the likes of FClef and is doing everything in house now. Its clear, its brand consistant and the Standards look like great basses.

19. devo_stevo

devo_stevo

Disclosures:
    Builder: Brumbaugh Guitarworks
    I don't think that F Bass is the same as F Clef basses. From what I've read I understood that it was just an unfortunate similarity in nomenclature. I'm sure I'll be corrrected if I'm wrong.

20. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast

I almost bought an FCLEF bass from George Travianni about 5 years ago or so but pulled out as I didn't feel I was getting the straight goods from him. He claimed to me he built the basses himself in the USA and that they were in no way connected to Bottom Wave. He told me his basses were being copied by others illegally in other countries.

George claimed to be tight with the Fodera crew and also sold many of Fodera's custom basses on his website, so it didn't come as a suprise upon further investigation that there was some kind of partnership between Bottomwave, Fodera and Fclef abroad as well....in Japan

I called Fodera for some kind of clarification on this and got a very strange vague response from them which only reassurred me George was lying to me...Fodera clearly did not want to discuss this.

Whats crazy is that I would have potentially bought the bass regardless of whether it was built in the USA or Japan if it was a quality bass. Its just I don't want to be lied to and sold something thats not what I was told it was!!! The guy completely sabotaged himself and his business!!! Crazy.....

21. Zanderwestcoast

Zanderwestcoast

I might ad that after I spoke to Fodera on the phone regarding this hoping for some honest information or clarification regarding there relationship with FCLEF, I was left with a bad taste in my mouth as they were very guarded and not forthcoming with any information that might have helped me at all. I have long thought about ordering a custom Fodera but not after that.