1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

f hole question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by pacumike, Dec 21, 2012.

1. pacumike

pacumike

With my bass lying on its side, is it inadvisable to use the f hole as support to pick it up out of its case/put it into the case (soft case)? Using the round part at the lower end of the f hole along with support on the neck with the other hand, does it put too much stress on the top? Or does anyone have any better way of handling the instrument?
  2. mjt0229

mjt0229

I would not advise that. The top can be very thin. It's best to grab it with one hand on the neck and the other on the C-bout. That's easier if you have violin corners, but if your bass has gamba corners, you can gradually rotate it up by the neck until it's easier to hold by the bouts.
  3. jwbassman

jwbassman Supporting Member

+1 to the above technique. I would not make lifting your bass by the f-hole a habit.
  4. Michael Case

Michael Case

THE F HOLE IS NOT A HANDLE! Just lift the bass from the c bout with one hand and the neck. To get the bass in and out of the bag I hold the bass upright with one hand and drape the bag over the bass with the other hand. Zip it closed. Then move along.
  5. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner/The Bass Spa, String Repairman/L & M Vancouver
    All good advice. The endpin is suitable for use as a handle...
  6. megafiddle

megafiddle

I pick mine up through the f hole once in a while if it's tough to grab it any other way.
    But I do make sure the force is always towards the side of the bass, lifting straight up
    while the bass is on it's side. Never lifting up while the bass is on it's back.

It is quite a reach for me to grab it by the neck and endpin.

One thing you might do, is reach under the strings to the lower opposite side and grab it
    by the inner part of the C. That is also a pretty good way to carry it up steps, out of the
    case.
  7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    I never thought twice about grabbing my ply bass by the F-Hole, but I wouldn't do it with a carved top.
  8. pacumike

pacumike

I appreciate all of the advice! Fortunately I haven't damaged anything by my ignorance (as far as I can tell). I should have asked sooner!