F/S SPECTOR NS-2JA-R with "Smadder" upgraded pickups and preamp

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by Famous Shamus, Nov 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Famous Shamus

Famous Shamus Gold Supporting Member

Alas, I have some stuff coming in that is going to neccessitate me seling a few items...so here's the first **SOLD**SOLD**

A very clean Spector NS-2JA-R...these are the reissue of the 1983 Brooklyn Spector NS-2JA's. This one has received an upgrade to the pickups and preamp. Pickups were upgraded to EMG X Series and preamp received a bump with the latest EMG BTC now installed. If I may quote the master, he wrote this up when he was selling a NS-2JA-R;

"I immediately upgraded it to EMG X series J pickups to get more power....Originally it came with regular EMG Jazz pickups and an ENG BT circuit for the preamp. My changes have created a much more powerful and flexible bass. While this is sometimes a little too hot in PJ Spectors, it's just right in this J/J configuration... a total joy to play and a tad lighter than the usual Euro 4s. The only difference between this and a neck through Euro is that it has a finished bolt on neck (not like a Rebop at all) and dual J pickups and dot inlays and an original chrome Badass bridge with matching chrome Schaller tuners and brass nut. Otherwise, it's got the real NS body shape, is super comfortable to wear and is an exact reissue of the 1983 NS-2JA bass. 83 of these were made in white, 83 in black, and 83 in natural. White of course is the best of the bunch!"

With thanks to Smadder, and apologies for using his words, but I could not have put it better myself! *EDIT this bass was upgraded to the new BTS circuit and is not the BTC and EXB variable mid cut circuit, just to be clear*

These basses are uber comfortable. The neck is nice in the hand...and I am a dedicated J bass kind of guy. This neck is really comfortable. Also, the bass weighs in at 8lbs. 8 oz.
    There are some surface scratches on the back, but they are very hard to pick up...just wanted to mention it. Other than that, no dings, dents or any other problems to speak of...just a really nice bass!

The pictures show the bass with Dunlop straplocks...rest assured the original Schaeller Strap Locks will be installed for the new owner. I will also include the original electronics, should the new owner desire...

[DEL]850.00 shipped[/DEL] Price drop 775.00 shipped for this future collectible:eek: comes with a quality Roadrunner soft case (not the cheap ones) and will be packed very well. Any questions, feel free to PM me or post it here. Here are some pics with and without flash.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. j.kernodle

j.kernodle

great looking bass. Just clarifying. its the stock preamp right? the only change is the pickups from EMG J's to EMG J-X's, correct?
  3. Famous Shamus

No sir...not the stock preamp. This is the upgraded EMG BTC preamp in here! Thanks for clarifying...hopefully for everyone else who reads the post too!:D
  4. iceboxbass

iceboxbass Living the Dream! Gold Supporting Member

BUMP! For an awesome bass and looking!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Famous Shamus

Thank you...she is a beauty. If I didn't just come into a Wimbish Spector, I probably would keep her!
  7. Famous Shamus

updated original listing...thanks to Matt for his help!
  8. MDBass

MDBass Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Spector-Dingwall-Aguilar-DR-Tech 21-Darkglass
    No problem at all John ;-)

GLWTS
  9. Famous Shamus

In answer to some questions...discount for local pickup! PM me if your in the tri-state area
  10. superdick2112

superdick2112 Registered Spector Addict

Free bump for a great bass!
    Smadder really knows how to properly hot-rod a Spector, and this one is too cool.
  11. Famous Shamus

Thank you...thank you...'tis a wonderful bass indeed:D
  12. Famous Shamus

Dropped the Price...gotta move her!
  13. Low Main

Low Main Supporting Member

This bass would look and sound so much hipper if Nathan East or Larry Graham were playing it than if I were playing it.

But does that stop the lust? No, it does not.

Mrs. Claus would cut me off until Groundhog Day if I bought another bass this close to chimney and stockings time.
  14. Famous Shamus

Aww, man...that Mrs. Claus, she's a bad mamma-jammer:)
  15. Famous Shamus

Buy This Bass..No Regrets Here!
  16. JeffplaysBass

JeffplaysBass Supporting Member

Is this Herbie?
  17. Famous Shamus

LOL...Jeff I'm not even going to pretend to get this reference!
  18. Famous Shamus

Bump for the Hot Bass!
  19. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

How would you compare the EMG X and pre change tone wise over the stock set up. Others have said brighter, more trebley. Is this now running @ 18 volts?

Also, are the lines visable in pic 4, back shot , starting @ the bottom 2 neck plate bolts the stratches you mention?

Thanks.
  20. Famous Shamus

EMG X's sound more robust...the J bass setup on Spector's has the reputation of sounding a little "thin" (in comparison to the P/J setup on other Spector's)

The EMG X's solve this, because they have a more beefy presence, while still retaining the J bass type of sound. They are definitely not more trebley...people might be confusing clarity with a more treble sound, but in my experience this is not the case. The X's take the sound to an entirely different level, (and they are less noisey too!)

As for the scratches, there is a small scuff on the plate and 1 small scratch the length of your pinky nail on the body. Is that what you are seeing? There is some glare in the photo, so I want to make sure. Very small, and hardly worth mentioning, but I posted it for the sake of full disclosure.:D
  21. TN WOODMAN

TN WOODMAN

Thanks for responding. I really like this bass but Christmas with a little one is not the best timing for me. GLWTS but if you still have for sale into the next year, we'll see.

I haven't heard the EMG Xs but have the originals in a pj and your description sounds tonally doable for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.