Fabric Dye

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by RBS_Johnson, Dec 17, 2013.

1. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

So, I searched on this, but only found a couple topics that are like five years old.

I am refinishing my 24" scale Kent(or at least the top of it). Somebody at some point decided to epoxy an Ozzy logo to it :rollno: I wanted to do a stain burst on the top, but nobody local had anything I liked in stock. One guy at lowes suggested trying fabric dye out on it. One trip to the craft store later, I was set to test it out.

I used the green and black liquid dyes. I wanted this dark so I didn't thin them with water(they were more like gel dyes un-thinned). I was going to do a bunch of coats, get it nice and "in there". But after the first coat I took a wet rag to blend the colors together and it took some out as well. I decided I really liked the look, so I am using tru oil over it.

Main point of the post is just informational. I will get some pictures when I get some more coats of tru oil on it and then when it is done. And also let everybody know if it holds up. Bonus, the dyes were like $3 a piece, and I could do several full guitar bodies of each with what I have left(if this one goes well).

-Jake

2. mruotsalainen

mruotsalainen

Sounds good - interested to see the results.

I finished one guitar last summer with Transtint dyes (15$ per bottle) + Tru oil. First ever project. And yes, I managed to surprise myself how it came together.

Good luck with the project!
    -Mika

3. Luthier Atlanta

Luthier Atlanta

Hmm, didn't it raise the grain. Did you sand or scrap afterwards?

4. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

Ya, it did raise the grain some(water based dye). But I only put one coat on, so it wash`t terrible. I just knocked it down a bit before the oil. Put another coat on this morning, really loving the black and dark green with how the wood showing through is turning an amber color :smug:

Thanks Mika!

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. TimboZ

TimboZ

I was told that the fabric dye will fade over time.

7. RBS_Johnson

RBS_Johnson

I will find out. If it does it isn`t a huge deal, as the way I did it looks kind of weathered anyway(and it is still fairly dark).

8. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging! Supporting Member

Several years ago, there was an article in Fine Woodworking magazine about a suite of children's bedroom furniture made by Marc Adams. If I recall correctly, he used fabric dyes to create his pastel colors.