Factory Jazz Control Postions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dStar, Feb 17, 2013.

1. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Okay guys, I fell kinds stupid for having to ask this, but...

I took the control knobs off my Jazz, to clean the control plate and now I can't remember where the factory position for full on.

I know it really doesn't matter as long as I know where full on is, but I'd like to put it back to where it was.

Pictures would be helpful ;)

Thanks in advance! Especially for all the incredibly witty comments, that I am sure that will ensue...

2. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I would put them so they are all straight up, or pointing towards me slightly when looking down at the bass.

3. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Yeah, that's where I would put them too. But, where would Fender put them? ;)

4. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

There is no standard place they put them.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

OK, the I've gotten two replies from Sadowsky owners (hey, I hope to own one too someday). Any Fender owners out here who can help? I know it's a small boutique company, and there aren't many of their Jazz models out there, but someone must have one in original factory condition...

7. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

You're not listening. :rolleyes:

8. Arizona Jones

Arizona Jones Supporting Member

I have a Classic 70's Jazz. The knobs have never been off. White lines are straight up when full on.

9. dtripoli

dtripoli

Played Fenders for decades and never noticed or even thought about what position the knobs are in at full off, "0"
    Switch them out for plain chrome knobs with no numbers then your concerns will disappear... I know that doesn't help...but they'll look awesome

10. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Bingo! Thank you!:hyper:

11. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

I am listening. What is the source of your information?

If you had said, "I own four Jazzes and none of the are in the same place", or if you had said "I assemble Jazz control plates for a living and we just slap them on", I'd say OK thanks.

I'm not trying to be difficult, just trying to separate the facts from opinions ;)

12. EagleMoon

EagleMoon

I've had many stock "from the factory" Fenders over the years and none of the knob markers have ever been in the same place twice. I've always had to loosen the knob and line them all up the way I want them.

13. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Thanks. I appreciate the info. Straight up, makes sense to me, plus it puts the set screws at the bottom and easily accessible.

14. Davo-London

Davo-London

Thing is with the Jazz and 2 volume pots; it's a bit annoying to have to turn both off when you want to rest the bass on a stand. Especially if like me you want full bridge volume and just a midgen of neck volume. I have a Jaco Jazz with Precision pots and so the only chance of seeing where the pot is, is from the grub screw.

Now if both grub screws are visible when the volume is full on, I cannot see the grub screw on the neck pot when it is in my ideal position.

Thus, I've just decided to line them up differently so I can see the grub screw on the neck volume pot when it's in the sweet spot (around 30%).

When I started this post I didn't realise I would come to this point!

Davo : )

15. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

:confused:

I own multiple Fenders.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

My Fender Jazz knobs are at the 12:00 position (with bass neck horizontal) full on. My Squire Jazz is at 2:00 position full on and most of my other basses with center detents have the detent at 3:00.

17. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    The last new Fender I bought had all knobs at 10:00 when you look down at them and they were dimed.

18. 96tbird

96tbird This Indian movie is really boring man.

^ mine go to 11.

Seriously, who is ever going to know the difference?! They have ladies at fender slapping jazz knobs on and pointing the lines up, kinda lining them up and tightening them on, all while they chat with other ladies on the line about their kids. Factory knob position. Pssshhh.

19. john m

john m Supporting Member

All knobs on basses and guitars had the line in a different position when fully on.

20. john m

john m Supporting Member

All knobs on basses and guitars had the line in a different position when fully on.

So if you want them to be like the factory does it,
    install them any way you want.

21. dStar

dStar Supporting Member

Word ;)

This was actually the answer I was expecting.

I'm either going with 90° up, from the plane of the neck or pointed at the V at the top of the control plate.

Thanks for the input guys.