1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Failure

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jakelly, Feb 28, 2014.

1. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

In the thread below, I picture the cool new clear pickguard I made for my T-bird. Just days later I notice something strange. Looked like something might have been happening to the guitar's finish around the screw holes of the new pickguard. Anyway, the pg is polycarbonate plastic that evidently reacts somehow with nitrocellulose.

No serious damage was done. The finish only got a little dull for a distance of about 1/8 inch all around the screw holes, but given more time the lacquer might have bubbled or liquified or something. So I can't use polycarbonate. The trade name is Lexan, which is probably another name for Plexiglass.

Now I'll probably try making one out of true pickguard material, and I think black. Black would look good with all the black hardware. BTW, I love this bass.

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/check-out-new-clear-pickguard-my-gibson-t-bird-1057429/
  2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies

Yep. Nitro is very 'reactive', especially with many plastics. It also doesn't like the foam rubber that is found on many guitar stands (take not of that). I had a bass with a nitro finished neck and it had 'burns' through the finish from where it hung in the shop.
  3. GIBrat51

GIBrat51

That's too bad; very happy to hear that you caught in time to minimize any damage. A shame that it didn't work; I was inspired by your original post, and thought about doing that myself. Many thanks for the update. I'm not sure, but I don't think Lexan is quite the same as Plexiglass; Lexan is far more scratch resistant. Food for thought, though; I need to check it out. I wonder what would work...? :)
  4. jakelly

jakelly Supporting Member

You're right. Lexan and Plexiglass aren't the same (I've been reading a little about plastics). Lexan is polycarbonate, Plexiglass is acrylic. I'm no chemist so all I know there is a difference, not what the difference actually is.:confused: :)

However, I wonder if Lexan would be fine with a poly finish.

I do know this: I'm not making another until I find out what WILL work. I may just go with actual pickguard material and go black. Hey, I wonder what mint green or cream would look like.