1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

Fair price for SWR rig?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by klejst, Jan 9, 2014.

1. klejst

klejst

I have never used or owned any SWR stuff but I hear it is good stuff. I found a guy locally who is selling a SWR Workingman's 4004 amp and SWR Workingman's 2x10 cabinet for $350....fair price? He also mentioned best offer so in not having the asked $350, what is a fair offer I could shoot him do you think? It's used gear but seems to be in a good cosmetic and working condition.
  2. Wesley R

Wesley R

I really liked my SWR Workingman's 4004, and yes the power may be overated, yet it worked well for my needs at the time. It was sold in haste, driven by several issues, none of which were the amps fault. It was coupled with an off brand budget 2x10 cab that sounded suprisingly good. It seams to me I paid $225 for the head in a rackmount box, with a wireless system installed.
  3. Eminor3rd

Eminor3rd

Tell him you had budgeted $250 for an amp but might be able to stretch it to $280.
  4. Joedog

Joedog

I'd start at $250. You can always go up on an offer, but if you start high and the seller accepts, pretty much impossible to negotiate down!!!!!!! It's generally best to make an offer in person, holding the cash in hand!
  5. olirm

olirm

That seems a bit high to me in my area anyway. I've seen the heads only pop up used in GC for about 175-200 and the WM cabs for less than 100. One around here was sitting on CL for a long time at 200. These prices were for the updated version with silver logo and grey knobs. I've seen the older ones with red logo go for a bit more. I guess the 90's pre-fender's go for a bit more. Great amp loved the sound when I had one, though that heat sink gets hot. I had a mini fan I carried around with me to gigs that I would point up at it to help. I only got rid of mine because I needed a bit more power, I always thought that 400w @ 4ohms was a generous rating.

Be sure to check the cones on the cab, it seems many of swr cabs that I see floating around used have major creasing or torn cones.
  6. Mainahman

Mainahman

Im still a SWR player. I sold my Pre fender Henry 8x8 a couple years ago to go lighter, but i still have my post fender working pro400. It will get replaced soon, but i like what it does with my GK cabs.
  7. klejst

klejst

Thanks for the inputs. I am sure I could get it for around $200 but he said the max offer he got so far was $250 but it's not a solid deal with that guy. I'm still debating if I should pull the trigger on this deal or perhaps let it pass and wait for something else later...:meh:
  8. pbassnut

pbassnut Supporting Member

If you want a really good deal on an SWR amp, get this one:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f127/fs-swr-bass-350-amp-1035273/

It belongs to a buddy of mine. I've played through it and it's a real winner. These things are essentially the amp section of SWR's legendary Redhead combos and are proven workhorses. This one is very low mileage as it was mostly used as a spare, is in excellent physical condition & perfect working order, and comes with a good quality rack case. In addition, the seller is a total stand up guy and is as reliable as the sunrise.