Fair price to pay for an OC-2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rbutler2, Oct 19, 2013.

1. rbutler2

rbutler2

Looking at the MIJ model.. Have seen prices range from $60-$260. Not quite sure why. Any insight?
  2. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i know a guy with a '77 dodge sportsman rv. he thinks it's worth $5500. it has been for sale in his driveway for 2 years. i think that sums it up pretty well.

also, i guess you'd have to consider the motive for the sale. someone might sell it for far less if they're in a tight spot.
  3. rbutler2

rbutler2

Right, good point. Just wondering if there are varying differences in quality etc?
  4. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i'm not 100% certain on the quality aspect. people seem to think the mij versions are superior much in the way someone likes a pre cbs fender. better? i dunno. more expensive? certainly. i've never a/b'ed the boss stuff. maybe some youtube videos might be up doing that, of course quality of video varies!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. ole Jason

ole Jason

It depends on where you buy them. The prices are pretty inflated on TB because people really like the pedal but I've seen them for $30-40 on guitar forums plenty of times.
  7. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Honestly, anywhere from $40 to $100 is a fair price. Some people think thr one made in Japan is better then the one made in, Indonesia I think it is. I paid $100 for mine on eBay. I thought it was fair. I think it's timing. I've seen them as low as $40 to $60 here on TB. IMO it's worth the money I paid for it, $100. Anything less is a great deal. It does sort of depend on the condition of the pedal too. They're all older so some are really beat up.
  8. CHILDISHGAMBINO

CHILDISHGAMBINO

I think I paid 40 bucks for mine. I see them here from 40 to 80. I wouldn't pay more than 100.
  9. rbutler2

rbutler2

Cool, thanks for the input, trying decide between one of these and the EH POG. Had the mxr and the aguilar and didn't love either of em.
  10. mattbass6945

mattbass6945

i have the micro pog and love it. i didn't care for the oc2, but it was so long ago that i don't specifically recall what it was that turned me off. i think maybe i felt like the micro pog held together a bit lower on the neck?
  11. Bassist4Eris

Bassist4Eris Non Serviam Supporting Member

The OC2 is a great pedal, but it's quirky and glitchy, especially on long tones. This can be part of its appeal for some. I love it because it sounds so synthetic. Put it before and autowah and a fuzz, and you've got a better synth sound than many synth pedals will give you.
  12. dylancasacci

dylancasacci Supporting Member

There is also two versions of the MIJ OC-2, the "Octaver" and the "Octave". The "Octaver" was only made for about two years and was a brighter shade of bronze/rootbeer/brown. The "Octaver" is also more desirable because, it has the "r" at the end of the name and supposedly sounds better than the "Octave". I had both MIJ OC-2s the "Octaver" and "Octave" and honestly couldn't tell the difference between them. I do prefer almost all the vintage MIJ BOSS pedals to the current Taiwan ones.
  13. DavC

DavC

i would think MIJ items would have better parts .. ? parts mij versus parts made in china .. ? but is it really anything that the vast majority of the listening public would actually notice .. ?? !! ? .... or is it more of the power of suggestion , similar to the placebo effect .. ?? when you're told to listen to or 'tune in' to something , you usually hear it , mostly because it suggested before hand ...

i've had the micro pog , mxr , Aguilar( older & newer ) ... i like the Tone of the older Ag , but wanted something poly ..

i now have a used boss OC-3 ($80 ) ... using it in poly mode helps work out a few of the problems that a strict 1 note unit might have ... not real crazy about any of the tones in any of the poly units .. ! thinking about trying the Morpheus , but it seems geared mostly for guitar frequencies ...

happy hunting ...
  14. gregmon79

gregmon79 Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The POG and the OC2 are toe completely different octaves. The POG is digital and tracks flawlessly but sounds very synthetic to me and, well, digital. Which can be a major plus if that's what you're going for. I had one a regret trading it. Hopefully I can get another one someday. The OC2 is more "natural" sounding than the POG. It is glitchy but I like that about it. It is more subtle that the POG IMO but both do the jobs they're built for great. Plus the OC2 is there times lesser the price, maybe more in some cases, new. If I had to choose one that would be really hard to do. The way my board is now I'd probably take the POG back because I don't have another pedal that can emulate it's sound. The OC2 I have now can, in a way that I could rationalize good enough, can be copied by the zoom ms60b I have.
  15. MilkyMcMilkMilk

MilkyMcMilkMilk

I got a OC-2 Octaver for $80 on craigslist. That's at least $30 less than what they tend to go for in Talkbass classifieds.
    My OC-2 MIT Octave pedal was $60 on TB classifieds.

They are the exact same pedal, no difference.
    Get the cheaper one.
  16. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

I picked up a MIT OC-2 on thegearpage.net for $50 shipped...
  17. Vlad5

Vlad5 Chronic Knob Twiddling Tone Chaser Supporting Member

I bought and sold a MIJ OC-2 for $65. I think that's a fair price.
  18. BooshBass

BooshBass

Traded an MXR BOD for a Synth Modded OC-2 Octaver.
  19. liveburning274

liveburning274

There is something very analog and wonderful about the OC-2 and I have to say I've loved mine. The reason it has had such a strong love on TB is because it leans to being more "synth" in tone than say the micro pogs, MXR, OC-3 and Aguilar. For the price I can definitely say it beats all of those. Almost all of the ones I listed above are are $100+ used anyways.
  20. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06

I paid 50.00 for mine (was my first pedal! And still own it). 100 would be my personal cap, but worth every penny (esp. with the synth mod)
  21. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Dingwall ABZ Player Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I paid $80 for an MIJ OC2 on the TB Classifieds a couple weeks ago.