1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

Fair prices for an old semihollow...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by dlenaghan, Dec 23, 2012.

1. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

So here's the bass in question -
    and another in worse shape (I know a good repair shop that'd deal with the cracked body for a good price)..

What would you pay for one of these Baldwin Vibraslim basses? I'm shopping for a semi-hollow, and while I'd give my left arm for a Starfire (kinda got a thing for Guilds), I'd have to give my arm and a kidney to afford one. So there are some nice models by Vox and Hagstrom (the Astro IV or Cougar and the Concorde (old name for the current Viking model, apparently)), but both are either hard to find or pricey when they show up in collector's condition, and I just need a player. My reason for leaning towards these is the single-coil tones and the number of frets - 21 is my minimum, 22 or 23 is good, and while 24 is optimal I'm not aware of any that give a full 2-octave fingerboard.

EDIT: I'm strictly into short scales, as well, and prefer blocked to a true hollowbody because of feedback issues at the volume of shows I usually play. But a true hollow isn't out of the question.

So these Baldwins show up - 22 frets, single coils.. what's a fair price, in your opinion?

2. TheBass

TheBass

Depends whether you are a collector or a player. Being a player I would compare its sound, playability (and look on stage of course) to other HBs or semi HBs on the market. In most cases a currently available HB would win.

If you are a collector then you might look for rareness, optical condition etc. and might also accept a higher price tag.

BTW: If you like shortscale HBs you might already know Ibanez Artcore HBs. If not, you should try them.

3. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

The Artcore is the only contemporary instrument that fits the playability and price point.. Gretsch has some good ones for too much money, and basses like the Allen Woody have just too few damn frets... 24 should be standard, dammit.

4. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis Supporting Member

There's a Baldwin Vibraslim available here that's lower in price than the one on Ebay. I'm also sure that the price is negotiable if you're interested.

http://www.capsulemusic.com/retail/detail.php?id=347

TD

PS - This is a quality store and they do ship worldwide.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. msb

msb

The Dano Longhorn is an inexpensive hollow body 24 fret short scale bass .

They sound frigging wonderful too !

7. brad houser

brad houser

that Baldwin looks cool! I'm a lakland hollowbody freak, but they're long scale.

8. dlenaghan

dlenaghan

I'll check into that bass at Capsule, thanks for the rec.. as for the Danos, I've read all these stories about John Entwhistle breaking his over and over trying to get the solo form My Generation on that film documentary about the band. I guess... it doesn't inspire confidence in the instrument. I had a Dano bass VI and it certainly didn't feel like it would take a knock too well, but yes, great sound, if a bit thin, and absolutely right, 24 frets on a short scale.

9. Abner

Abner

The Baldwins do look cool. I've had one since the '70s. My second-ever bass. Will never get rid of mine, as I said, they do look cool (mine is a black body), but would also not recommend one, especially at these prices. And shipping to Korea? I notice one on ebay mentions the original case. It is huge.

The pickups maybe okay, but that bridge... A floating bridge. "Reso-tube"? I think you can read that in the pictures (on the bridge plate). And it strings through-body with that floating bridge, and a single bar/saddle for intonation...

Gee... at these prices, maybe I could be convinced to part with it...

Those Ibanez Artcores are not too bad. I have an AGB200 -- not the best bass in the world, but better than the Baldwin. And less than half the price.

-Alex

10. cavscout19d

cavscout19d