Fair trade: GK 700RBII for MB500?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bullitt5135, Nov 30, 2012.

1. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

I've been thinking about swapping my 700RBII for an MB500 -- just looking to lighten up my rig (already have a GK212MBE on order). I'm confident the MB500 will give me the tone and power I need. Do you think a straight-up trade would be fair if I can find a used MB500, or should I expect some cash to trade hands?

Yeah, I know... I should just keep the 700 as a backup...
  2. ljazz

ljazz

Or just keep the 700rbII, and skip on the mb500......

Really, the 500 is a nice sounding amp, but man, the 700rbII is such a sweet sounding head. Lots more grunt and heft. Pick up the shoulder bag for it.... it really isn't that heavy.
  3. IPYF

IPYF

Well if you think the amp has the tone and power you need I'd say go for it.

Portability is king. Back when I was starting out with bigger amps the options for a smaller efficient rig weren't there. These new pocket class D heads like the GB shuttles and TC BHs, GK MBs etc. are really good. A lot of people think you have to sacrifice tone for portability but I'm not sure I'm on board with that.

Just remember that in life you can buy as many cabs and amps as you want/can afford over the duration of your years. You only get one spine.

I'd be looking for some scratch for that 700 though if I were you. The MB retails a lot cheaper than the RB, at least it does here. The resale value on the RB is also a bit higher I would say as they're a renowned workhorse. I'd look to buy the MB second hand.
  4. cableguy

cableguy

+1

Grat amp and that shoulder bag works well.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Bullitt5135

Bullitt5135

I've come to my senses. I'd be stupid to get rid of the 700rbII. I just need to play a few gigs and save the dough for the MB500. FYI, the 700rbII only weighs 16.5 lbs. For the time being, I just need to pick up a better gig bag for the amp, cables and such. Down the road, the MB500 will a nice backup as well as an easy-to-carry amp for rehearsals.
  7. garagebassman

garagebassman

That's a good call.
    I'm still hanging on to my 700II even though I really only ever gig the 212MBE and MB500.....ever

the 700 is a great amp to have though