Fair trade?: Modded MIM jazz vs SR1300PM

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LDonnie, Nov 21, 2012.

1. LDonnie

LDonnie Supporting Member

Hello TB,

I wasn't sure if what's it worth threads are still legit for non-supporting members? (fwiw I have been supporting and never asked before) *EDIT: I am supporting now*. Anyway I couldn't find it in the rules so here goes:

I have a 2009 (I think) MIM Jazz with an Audere JZ3, Dimarzio ultra jazzes and Gotoh 201 bridge. I've put it up for trade and someone offered me an Ibanez SR1300PM. I have always wanted a Soundgear and, according to what I could find, this one comes near the premium/prestige line quality. So I am pretty psyched! I worry about the resale value though.

Is this a fair trade? I spent at least 900 euro's on the Jazz with upgrades (I bought it new at the time). Thanks guys!

Also, no pic, no bass!

[​IMG]
  2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

I don't think this is allowed unless you're a supporting member, it is basically a price quote.

If you did the work yourself, the parts alone on the Fender are worth about as much as the Ibby is stand alone, re-sale value is probably around the same as well, I cannot speak for euro values though, I am in Canada so our prices are different.

If you walk away with a bass you enjoy, it is a fair trade, does it matter if you loss or gain $100?
  3. meatwad

meatwad Supporting Member

He is a supporting member, officer barbrady. At least I see an avatar on my cellphone, indicating his supporting membership.
  4. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

Well on my computer, he lacks an avatar as well as the badge indicating supporting member, and he did ask if this was appropriate for non-supporting members... so I stand by my statement.

And I clearly gave him some solid advice as well since it wasn't a direct price quote, so what did you contribute to the thread?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. liveburning274

liveburning274

Hey guys...cheap shots are not enjoyed by the viewing audience. The point was made let's help the brother out with what we can and still keep this a fun place to be together.
  7. meatwad

Glad you are looking out for the best interests of TB, just thought you got a little trigger happy in this particular thread. I see an avatar with a Jazz and a StingRay. That is all, Sir.
  8. Epitaph04

Epitaph04 Supporting Member

Psh speak for yourself! I've already got my popcorn ready.:hyper:
  9. meatwad

If he's not a supporting member, then I apologize.
  10. danomite64

danomite64 Supporting Member

I don't see an avatar, either. Anyway, I wouldn't trade my modified 2009 MIM Jazz for a Soundgear, partly because I'm a lefty, and for me, Ibanez didn't go higher than an 800 series. My Jazz is definitely nicer than an 800......
  11. LDonnie

Then consider this a legitimate request now, because I reactivated my membership. Considering your question, I think a 100 euro difference does matter.

Thanks for the support, but I don't mind supporting the website, I just didn't find the rule anywhere.

Can you explain further?
  12. DiabolusInMusic

Welcome back, since you are now a fellow member I did some research for you, now keep in mind, these are my north american prices, yours will be higher but they will probably compare around the same.

I can get the Ibanez fairly easily for around $300, that is stock with no modifications.

I can get the MIM Jazz for $300 fairly easily, all day long, when you throw in the mods the jazz is worth much more. If you spent money on labour you are going to be into it for more than it is worth already, so don't expect to get that back. With mods, the most I could see the jazz going for is $600ish.

So I wouldn't take that trade unless he offered extra cash. I personal wouldn't take it anyways, I would take a Fender over an Ibanez any day of the week, and I played and Ibanez as my number 1 for a couple years. They are different basses though, many folks prefer the ibanez.

Hope that helps.
  13. meatwad

No problem with supporting TB here at all, and I've recently realized my supporting membership has now expired as well.
  14. awilkie84

awilkie84 Supporting Member

THIS has just convinced me to NOT refinish my p-bass from LPB when I finish fixing it...thank you, sir!

I'm going to do a custom BWB pickguard with metal control plate instead!
  15. Silver Blues

Silver Blues

FWIW your Jazz is a beautiful bass. It's up to you whether you're happy enough with it to keep it, but if you want to hear my advice, keep it.

--Silvie
  16. Immigrant

Immigrant

I wouldn't make that trade. The Ibby may have been nice many moons ago, but your bass the way it's modded is nicer IMO.

Concerning the rule: I haven't read it in a while, but I thought this type of question was OK without a supporting membership. This isn't (I think):
    "I want to sell my bass. How much is it worth?"

I think this is:
    "I want to buy this bass from a guy. He wants X dollars for it. Is it a good deal?"

I find it entertaining when folks climb all over the poster so quick.:p
  17. danomite64

I've had several SR800's. I've gigged with them lots, and I love their necks and light weight. I have some recordings of old gigs with them, and they all sound great. But when I was playing them live, they never sounded as good as my other bass, which was usually a Jazz. My son's SR500 sounds better to me, and the SR1300 is probably more like that, but I still like my Jazz better. Anyway, every recording I have using a Jazz sounds at least as good ad the SDR800s, so I'm not missing anything.

[​IMG]
  18. LDonnie

Perhaps I should give a bit more background to the story. I now own three basses. I have had these a couple of years now and gigged with them as well. The Jazz never charmed me though, while every Soundgear I ever played has. I want to try something else, but having three basses is enough. Out goes the Jazz!

Thanks a lot for the research. From what I could find there was a price difference in Europe as well, so I don't think I will do the trade one on one. I did the mods myself, so I am not concerned about losing money there.

Thanks for the compliment. I apply the scheme to all of my basses. Too bad the Ibanez isn't blue :(.

Also thanks. I know it's always a good thing to have a Jazz around, but I just got no feelings for the bass.

I love black and maple with tortoise. Always reminds me of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2i4zg9PzXYM&fmt=18

Also, if the Soundgears are equally nice as a Jazz, than I don't need to worry, right? ;)
  19. danomite64

IMO, they are not equal. My soundgears got the job done, and sound fine on the recordings, but during the gigs themselves, they were okay, not inspirational at all. My Jazz, OTOH, sounds much better live, and that inspires me to play things that I'd just avoid on a Soundgear, because I believe the Jazz will sound good no matter what I do.
  20. bh2

bh2

Your Jazz looks super... I'd keep it.

If it isn't working for you however.
  21. LDonnie

I want to do one final (I promise) bump to thank everyone who has contributed and also to see if there are more people who would like to express their opinion on the matter.

Also, the Jazz is a fine bass, but it is my least favourite of the three I have. I don't want more than three basses and I would like to try something else, so I don't intend to keep it.