Fairly compact (semi-)hollow bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by hansmoleman, Mar 30, 2014.

1. hansmoleman

hansmoleman

Hi!

Got an Ibanez SR-300 PW at the minute but am currently selling it to get something a bit more compact and also different.
    I like the idea of a hollow or semi hollow bass, but would like a fairly compact one too (or else I'll be in a similar situation to my current one). £250 budget and definitely open to buying used.

Any suggestions?
  2. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

A used Hofner icon/ignition violin or club bass.
  3. CJAtheBassman

CJAtheBassman

This or any copy thereof.
  4. Bobster

Bobster

5. LowEndBuzz

LowEndBuzz

6. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

What are your tonal goals? IME, switching to hollowbody is sort of losing a bit of many qualities I appreciate in a good bass. You will generally get shorter sustain, less "cut" from the mids, more handling noise, less gain before feedback, less stability for changing temperatures and humidity as well as more uneven tone along and across the neck.

Still, it is an instrument that works just right in some (not many) styles of music. Arguably, these scenarios could also be well enough covered with a Precision, perhaps with a chunk of foam at the bridge.

And I still look forward to every occasion to play my Gretsch G5123B...
  7. mongo2

mongo2

The only style of music that I don't use my hollows for is heavy slap style which I avoid doing if at all possible because I simply don't like it. Otherwise my hollows can work for everything I play.
  8. donn

donn

What kind of "compact" are you looking for? Smaller body, shorter scale, ... thinner case? I don't know, just never thought about compactness as an issue, they're all pretty tiny compared to an upright!